Chapter 3

Her eyes opened wide when she saw her bottle in the same place except with a white note instead of her pink one. She ran towards the lake and took out the note and for an odd reason, she felt nervous and her stomach lumbered. She opened the note, excitement clawing at her. An she couldn't help but grin from ear to ear when she read what was written inside, “Hey! Sure. I can help you in any way you want me to. Anyway, my mother says I'm a good listener so you can tell me anything you feel like and I won't blabber about it to anyone. We could meet if you like. :)”

Her heart was racing and she couldn't keep the smile off her face as she took out her pink note and wrote, “No, let's not meet and keep it this way. It wouldn‘t be the same if we meet. There's nothing special that I want to tell you. I just needed to talk to someone, so we can just converse this way... Also, I never expected an answer and it's beyond cool that I did get one. Plus, it's really sweet of you to try and help someone you don't even know. :)”

She waited for school to pass quickly the next day so she could see the answer she would get. And it seemed to drag even more than usual. She was breathless by the time she reached the lake. She threw away her back pack and ran to fish the bottle from the sand. Her heart swelled to see the note there.

“Sure, we'll not meet and keep it the way you want it to. I'm flattered by the sweet part. :D Thank you so much. So, lets get to knowing each other. What's your name? Are you a girl? Or a boy? No, scratch that. I know you're a girl. How old are you? What do you do? Sorry for being so inquisitive :/ but hey, you're free to ask me anything you want to as well!”

“I'm not telling you my name. :| You can call me anything you want. I'll call you Stuart, okay? You know, that little mouse from Stuart Little. He was soooo cute. How did you know I was a girl? I'm fifteen. What about you? I just go to school, eat and sleep. That's my life.”  I sealed the note in the bottle and sat by the lake to do my homework.

***

A week later, I was reading all the messages the boy had sent to me. He replied to my message by:

Stuart: Stuart is cool. I might've disagreed because of the mouse part but the fact that you said, “He was soooo cute,” and then decided to name me that was highly appreciable. I don't know what to call you. I know it has to be something between Chocolate, sugar or Caramel but I just can't decide. I knew from your way of writing that you were a girl... Or the fact that you wanted to ‘talk’ to a LAKE told me you were a girl. Also, I'm a guy. I don't want you living with the idea that you've been talking to a girl all this time. That would be very offending. I'm sixteen. :) Also, that's a very sad life that you're living.

Caramel: You're so full of yourself, gosh. I loooovvveeee Caramel, so you can just call me that. Oh, and don't you pretend only girls do this stuff because in case you haven't noticed, you've been writing to me regularly and are still calling yourself a GUY. Boys can be loners, too. And I somehow knew you were a guy even before you told me. I know my life is sad... :(

Stuart: Awwn, don't be sad, pretty girl. You'll see rainbows and unicorns, too. I like Caramel too! *high-five* So caramel, tell me why you come to the woods.

Caramel: I like it here. Everything is so peaceful and beautiful... What about you?

Stuart: My parents fight a lot at night, so I run away and come here and punch trees to get my anger in control. :(

Caramel: I'm sorry, Stuart. I hope the best for you.

Stuart: Me too. :)

And that was how Gwen and Stuart ended up becoming close friends.