[46] Vows

"Aisling, AISLING." Aisling heard Alice scream her name for what must have been the thousandth time that morning.

"What?" Aisling appeared in the doorway of their dormitory.

She had a large chunk of her hair held in one hand and her wand in the other; which was also stuck deep into her mass of curls.

"I've got the flowers for your hair here!"

Alice passed her the string of dainty white flowers which they had bought in Hogsmeade on the same day they had gone to pick up her wedding dress. The dress itself was hanging up on Aisling's four poster bed. Although she had initially been resistant to Alice and Lily's choices for her, even she had to admit that the dress they had helped her pick out was beautiful. From the intricate lace patterns on the bodice to the flowing toulle fabric of the skirt. She smiled to herself as she ran her hands over the dress. Maybe, just for today, she would enjoy getting dressed up.

"I told you not to touch it!" Lily snapped, slapping Aisling's hand away. "I spent an hour last night making sure it looked perfect, I don't need you creasing it or something."

"You're both being a little bit too bossy for my liking. In fact you've been bossing me around the last week!" Aisling said, looking at her two friends. "Isn't this supposed to be the happiest day of my life or something?"

It was true that since the first moment her friends had found out about her engagement, they had taken it upon themselves to do most of the planning themselves. There had been very few decisions left for Aisling to make.

"Yes, it is. That's why it's our job to ensure that you actually make it down the aisle looking like a bride." Alice joked, pushing Aisling down onto a chair.

"Exactly." Lily said. "If you had it your way you'd be walking down the aisle in jeans. Now let me do your hair because you're doing an awful job."

***

Sirius was pacing up and down the dormitory, as he always did when he was nervous.

"Will you hurry up Prongs!" Sirius tapped his foot impatiently. As usual, James was the last one to finish getting ready. "We still have to go and set up the chairs and stuff."

"Is there any point?" Remus asked, jokingly. "I mean, you're getting married in a field."

"Yeah, you could just lean into the whole hippie theme and have people sit cross legged on the floor." Peter suggested with a chuckle.

"It's a lavender field, and it's beautiful." James said, appearing from behind his bed.

"Thank you." Sirius said, shooting dark looks at Remus and Peter, which only made them laugh more. "Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Why must you always doubt me Padfoot?" James asked incredulously.

"Do you have the rings?"

"Of course I have the-" James trailed off and started rummaging through his bedside drawers. "They're here somewhere I'm sure."

"If you could find them sometime in the next hour, I'd really appreciate it." Sirius said through gritted teeth.

"Do you mean those rings?" Remus asked, pointing to the windowsill.