7. Attacked

Joe jumped when the kitchen door opened. He'd been caught. The dishes were washed and put away, but he wasn't making any effort to go into the living area. He felt anti-social, but he just couldn't shake his mood. He stood immediately and tried to pretend he was just getting ready to leave. Relief flooded through him when he saw Sara.

"Oh, it's you. I thought you were one of the girls or Akashi."

Sara smiled, but only briefly. The look she gave him was intense. "My trip didn't take as long as I expected. I examined Akashi's house like I said I would. Nothing was out of the ordinary. There weren't even any signs of a struggle."

"Curious," Joe commented. He was a little surprised. "I guess his story checks out."

"It seems to so far." She sighed as she plopped down at the table. Joe joined her. "We will keep an eye on him. Don't worry."

"It's like you're telling me not to breathe."

"Serus is on the move. We already knew. Why are you so on edge now?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "Something in my gut is telling me there's someone on the inside. The latest murder was an undercover sentinel. There were very few people who had ever seen him. No one knew where he was stationed, yet they found him and slaughtered him."

"I know. It was strange. The guy was practically smoke." A sad expression took over her face.

"Did you stop by Albert's office?"

She nodded. "Albert sent a team to the cottage. He told them to decimate it. I took down the barriers before I came in. They're supposed to send a signal when they finish."

Joe huffed. "I guess we better sit near the window then."

"Probably wouldn't hurt."

He shook his head as they moved to the only window seat in the kitchen, their eyes scanning the darkness for a sign. "I can't believe Serus was already so close. Whoever kidnapped Akashi means business."

Sara let her mind wander. "Do you think Akashi is a threat?" She threw the question at him out of the blue.

Joe made a face at her. "What made you ask?"

She shrugged. "I see it all over your face every time you mention his name."

He was quiet for a moment. "I'm not ruling it out. His circumstances are suspicious, but he seems genuinely different from what I knew of his father. Of course, I've only known him for a few hours."

"You're scared he will worm his way in here and turn out to be a scoundrel like his father."

"It wouldn't be the first time a Winters was burning at both ends."

Sara tilted her head. "Meaning?"

Joe leaned toward her. "Jay was an Ignis agent before he founded Serus. He planned to take them down from the inside, and he nearly succeeded."

"Oh, I never knew the details."

"I studied the facts inside and out," Joe said with a hint of bitterness. "After all, he killed my parents."

Her sad expression returned. She had been dating Joe for a year now, and every time he mentioned them her heart hurt. There was such sorrow in his voice. She rested her hand on his shoulder. "And he got what he deserved. If Akashi is playing us, and he is with Serus or whatever, we'll take him down, too."

Joe flashed her a grateful smile. Her presence was a great comfort to him. Sometimes he didn't know what he would do without her.

The signal came moments later, and the two of them headed out to reconstruct the barriers. Along the way, they spotted Addey, Freya, and Akashi all sitting on the couch together. It looked like they were watching television at first glance, but then they realized the three of them had their eyes closed. They had fallen asleep against one another. Joe and Sara didn't bother them. Once they got back from their current task, they would make sure the three of them were safely in their beds.