9. Practice

After a good night's sleep, Freya was refreshed and ready to start the day. She got out of bed, got ready, and secured her wand into its holster around her waist. She reached absent-mindedly for her Rumi but remembered it was left behind. She checked her appearance in the mirror, then went downstairs. She expected to see everyone in the living area, but it was deserted. With a frown, she walked farther down the hall. Silence met her in every direction. She peeked into the kitchen, but no one was in there. Where had they all gone? She rushed back to the living area. The clock on the mantle said it was barely past noon. Either everyone got up early and went somewhere without her, or they were congregated somewhere else on the grounds. Deeming the latter more likely, she hurried over to the window to see if she could spot them anywhere. She pulled back the curtains and peered out into the yard. A smile spread across her lips. They were out there running around and laughing. Curious about what they were doing, she let the curtains fall back into place and hurried to join them.

As soon as she stepped foot outside the door, she was greeted with a toothy smile from her brother. Takuma was leaning against the stone banister just above the stairs, his arms folded.

"Afternoon. Did you finally decide to join us? You missed breakfast."

"Why didn't you wake me?"

"Nah. I knew you'd wake when you were ready."

Freya gazed out into the yard. Addey, Akashi, and Divinity had a small orb resembling the moon, smacking it around with magic. Her eyes lit up. She missing playing with moon balls. Takuma used to conjure them for her to play with when her parents were busy. It was so fun to smack around with various spells, and it was a great teaching tool. Some of her best magic lessons had involved a moon ball. The only people she didn't see out there were Joe and Sara. Maybe they hadn't got up yet.

"Where are Joe and Sara?" she asked.

"They took a day to themselves. I told them I could handle you guys for a day."

She smiled. "Of course you can."

"Joe showed me where everything was and told me where the barrier starts." His expression was thoughtful. "He also told me about your little adventure yesterday."

Freya averted her eyes. "It was an innocent adventure in the beginning."

"Yeah and look where it got you. You and Addey both could have been killed."

"But we weren't."

"This time." An exasperated sigh pushed through his lips. "You have to be careful...especially now. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you found Akashi. He seems to be a good guy. I talked to him a little this morning."

Freya smiled. "He's something."

He looked out into the yard. "Can you believe Addey is the only one who has played with a moon ball before?"

"Akashi said his father brought him up like a warrior," she revealed sadly. "And I don't know much about Divinity yet, but she's got the look just like he does."

Takuma tilted his head to the side. "The look?"

"Like they had to grow up way too fast." She saw it the moment she looked into her eyes.

He studied Divinity, trying to see what Freya saw in her. Then he looked at Akashi and done the same but to no avail. They didn't look anything but normal to him. "You know...you have always been able to see things no one else can and sense when something isn't right with a situation or person. I always knew you were special."