Detour

Ochako and I have been on the road for a few hours now, just talking about our lives. She told me stories of Momo and I, how in love we were. As she tells them, memories resurface, events that I didnt know I had forgotten.

    Momo trying to teach me how to hunt, but I was too squeamish and couldnt bring myself to. Our first date, sitting in a cleared pasture, staring at the stars and just getting to know each other better.

    Our story was beautiful. Yet, it was also tragic. I can only imagine the pain and grief that Momo went through after my death.

     It feels strange to think that. My death. It sounds odd to me.

       "We should stop for the night." Ochako says around 1 AM, my eyes getting droopy. I agree with a sluggish reply, not even fully conscious of what I said.

     We pull into a hotel, as I pretty much sleep walk through the lobby and to our room. Ochako got us a 2 bed sure, something simple since it was only for a night and we couldn't care less about fancy extras when we just wanted sleep.

      As I drift off to sleep, I feel an odd tugging in the back of my mind. Almost like sleep, but not quite. Something... stronger. Fiercer. But before I can resist I'm pulled under.

      Momo lays in a vault, on a cool, stone slab, looking peaceful, even though she is pretty much dead. Death suits her, in a way.

   How does the quote go? 'Death has sucked the honey from thy breath, but not the beauty from thine face' or something like that.

    That describes her perfectly. Her Raven hair fanned around her head, her pale hands clasped on her chest, her eyes closed and unmoving.

       I stand there, admiring her for a bit, when suddenly the vault bursts open. Two people rush in, a man and a woman, the woman short with blonde, messy space buns, and the man with short, black hair and scars marring his face and neck.

     "Is this her Dabi? The one that killed Shigi?" The girl asks excitedly.

     "I'm certain it is, Toga." The man, Dabi, responds.

     "What are we gonna do with her?"

     "Watch her burn."

     All of the sudden, the place erupts in flames, destroying the vault... and Momo.

     I rush towards Momo, shielding her body with my own. I feel the flames closing in on us, and I hear the people laughing as we burn. I look up and see a full moon in the sky, before everything turns black.

    I bolt up with a scream, ochako instantly rushing to my side.

    "Woah! What happened? Are you okay?" She sounds near panic.

    "We don't have much time," I say, trying to catch my breath, " we have till the full moon before they burn the vault down!"

     Ochako looks at me with wide eyes.
"Who? Who does?!" She asks, fear creeping into her voice.

     "A man and a woman named Dabi and Toga. They burn the vault on the night of the full moon." Her eyes widen.

    "You mean to tell me we have just a few days before Momo is killed?" She asks, her eyes still wide and frightful.

    "Yes." I say, lowering my eyes.

    " Guess it's time we called Kami. Looks like we are gonna take a detour." My head shoots up at the name Kami.

     "You mean...." I trail off.

     "Yes, hon. Your best friend is still alive and kicking. He also finally settled down with Shinsou." Ochako says with a soft smile.

      That's good. Kami had always liked Shinsou, but was too afraid to tell him. I guess when I passed, it finally gave him the incentive to tell him and change him.

     "Then let's go get him and his lover boy." I can't help but smile.

    After packing our things, we load back into the car, driving down the highway for a couple more hours before reaching a small turn off. Ochako turns down it and my breath catches.

     The driveway is made of dirt and lined with Sakura trees, the blooms falling to the ground with the wind, and moss growing along the sides.

     We drive down the path before seeing a beautiful stone and glass house. It's not quite a mansion, but its definitely a roomy building.

      Ochako stops the car and we get out, walking to the front door. I hold my breath, steeling myself to see the boy I saw as a brother.

     She knocks on the door, and only a few seconds later we are greeted by a tired looking man with purple hair.

    Shinsou looks at Ochako in surprise and then pulls her into a hug.

    "Ochako! It's been so long! How have you been? Where have you been?" He asks, then he happens to look over at me.

     His jaw drops open as he gaped at me, trying to comprehend what he is seeing. I give a nervous half wave before I'm all but tackled by an embrace.

    "Oh my goodness! Kyoka! My dear, you're back! I've missed you so! What happened? How are you back? Did something happen to Momo? Is she okay? How have you been?" I can barely keep up with his questions but I try.

    "Um, I've missed you too, I died and now I'm back, Momo is in a special vault that stops time for her, and I'm okay!" I say, a bit breathlessly.

    Shin blinks, then bursts out laughing.

    "Yep! Same old Kyo! I'm so glad you're back! Kami will be thrilled. He's out back, practicing guitar, you should go say hi! He will be ecstatic."

     "Okay!" I smile, walking past him and to the backdoor. I look out the glass panes of the door, watching as Kami is stuck in his own world, his back to me, strumming on the guitar.

    From what I can hear, he's much better than he used to be.

    I open the door and step outside, being quiet and walking up behind him. I tap him on the shoulder, making him stop strumming for a sec.

    "What's up Hito? You smell weird." He says with a chuckle.

     "Probably cause I'm not Shinsou, Kami. And you've gotten a lot better at guitar."

    Kami whips around to look at me, gasping, his eyes as large as saucers.

"Kyoka?"

1064 words