Chapter 19

huh. so this is what a high school party is like.

or maybe this is a more tuned down high school party, because it doesn't really smell like weed and it doesn't look like there is any alcohol, which i suppose is a good thing. people not having control over their own emotions and thoughts is always something that freaked me out. i never saw any good in it, because it usually appears as if nothing good comes out of it. i don't see the point. 

but i do know one thing for sure: i much rather be at any other place in the world right now besides here. 

"oh. my. gosh." gina groaned, plugging her nose. "it smells like a boys locker room in here." 

i inhaled deeply, automatically regretting it because i gagged on the air i breathed. "ew, that's so gross." i sputtered out as the toxic fumes of sweat lingered in my nose. it was disgusting, like the mosh pits at concerts.

the party was being held in ashlyn's house, which undeniably had the best vibes ever! led lights littered the ceiling as red solo cups littered the floor and music blasted from pretty much ever corner of the place. music that looked as if it were being dj'ed by............... carlos? yep, that was carlos alright. 

"you guys made it!" red shouted over the louder speakers. "welcome to casa de caswell! drinks, and i mean soda, are in the kitchen if you guys want to grab any." 

"i'd literally go anywhere to get away from this smell!" i exclaimed with a laugh, making the group chuckle. i always felt accomplished whenever i did that. "what types of sodas you got here, ash?" 

ashlyn leaned in to whisper in my ear. "some really rare ones from some sketchy website. you might wanna go check them out." 

i nodded with a smile, making my way towards the corner of the room to an opening which i was assuming was the kitchen. 

i had been to many parties before, but those were either really formal or like, kim karadashians weird ones that didn't really make sense. there was asher angles birthday party too, but that was kind of boring. but none, and i mean none, were like this. 

this was different.

this was teenagers. 

people were dancing and bouncing around to the loud music, running into each other and stepping over each others feet. there was a group of people playing beer pong in a corner, talking loudly and laughing, and there was another group sitting on the couch on their phones. every now and then, you would pass by someone making out, but there was a surprisingly rare amount of those. in movies there always seemed to be a lot more, but i've learned not to base every single life assumption off of a movie at this point. so much for this party being only theater kids. i wonder if ricky's here....

as soon as i entered the kitchen, i got my answer. there he was, leaning up against ashlyn's counter, talking to some guys from ehs. he was wearing a plain white t-shirt with his east high letterman jacket over top and a pair of black vans. gosh, he looked so good. but there was a problem...

he was standing in front of the sodas. ughhhhhhh.

slowly, (and awkwardly), i made my way over to where the sodas were on the counter; also where ricky was on the counter. i don't know whether or not his friends had seen me, but they were gone already and it was just him drinking his soda. cautiously, i cleared my throat, causing ricky to look at me, wide eyed.

"hi." i whispered shyly, not really knowing what else to say. in response, ricky just simply rolled his eyes, turning away from me coldly. ouch, okay. "look," i mumbled. "i know you really don't want to talk to me, and you have every right not to want to, and i am going to give you space, but you are in front of the sodas and i was wondering if you could maybe pass me a-"