Chapter 19 Part II

Mercy's POV:

As soon as we step foot off the jeep we're immediately swarmed by a lot of people, all holding big guns and wearing camo.

I look over to Lindsay and see that she is struggling to keep Johnny calm but as soon as I was going to intervene Leeroy manages to calm him down.

"Name and age." Orders a woman in front of me.

"Mercy Dawson, Seventeen." I answer.

The woman jots something down on her notebook and moves on to ask Blake the same question.

I look around, tall pine trees surround us, making extra cover for the huge metal door.

"All of you, come with me." Orders the same woman who had asked for our names and age.

We quickly walk after her.

The door opens and she leads us inside.

Just behind the door is already another woman waiting for us, she is wearing a white lab coat, her yellow hair tossed in a neat ponytail, a pair of white glasses perched on her straight nose. Her big, brown doe eyes scrutinize us.

She isn't tall, but she's taller than me.

"Hello, my name is Doctor Sandra McKinney. I'm here to do a full check-up to check if you aren't infected and to see how bad your health is. To start off, please walk with me to that white building." She turns around and starts walking.

I notice there isn't much cement and more grass. The area we are at seems to be closed off from the other areas, which makes sense.

I look up at the wall that divides us from the other people, I feel eagerness rise up my chest, making a smile creep onto my lips.

"Come on." Blake whispers into my ear, placing a hand on the small of my back and gently nudging me.

We walk into the white building, immediately after the doors close. a rush of humid air blasts us.

The doctor doesn't even move, she just waits for the air to stop and then crosses yet another set of doors.

The reception looks like any other hospital, except for the fact that there are heavily armed guards all over the place.

"Women to the right, men to the left." Says Doc. McKinney.

I hear Johnny whimper softly.

"Hey, don't cry. You go with Leeroy, he'll take care of you." Soothes Lindsay. Johnny wipes his tears on his sleeve and lets go of Lindsay's hand to immediately grab Leeroy's.

Leeroy sends the boy a kind smile and gently tugs him away.

Lindsay, Amira and I follow Doc. McKinney.

Each one of us gets their own room, where one of those hospital gowns wait for us on top of the bed.

I hastily change into it, and wait for the doctor.

The soft clicks of heels resonate from the hall, I barely have time to sit upright when Doc. McKinney barges into the room.

She's holding a clipboard and a pen in between her fingers.

"So, I'm going to take a blood sample, a urine sample. If it doesn't bother you, I have to check your body for any bites. If you don't feel comfortable with me doing it, I can call another co-worker."

I shake my head, a polite smile plastered on my lips.

She gives me a plastic cup and ushers me into the bathroom.