Part Thirteen

You and Sam lounged across the living room in your pajamas, eyes trained on the television flickering softly in front of you as the downpour continued on outside. Through the large windows you could see the dark grey clouds rolling across the sky, leaving everyone in a bitter and somewhat lethargic mood.
It was for that reason (and your aching and bruised bodies from training) that you and Sam had decided to spend the day in, rewatching all of the Harry Potter films together to pass the time. After all, he was one of the only people in the tower who could appreciate the series as much as you.

The clocks struck noon as you continued into the third movie, the rain outside falling harder than ever as you and Sam continued to sit in a daze. You stretched your body across the sofa, unwilling to share with the latter who was currently slouched back in the large armchair to your right.

There'd initially been bickering over the seats, but now silence hung over the room as you both zoned out. So absorbed in the film, neither of you noticed when your company was interrupted

Bucky entered the near empty living room, his hands shoved deep into his sweat pant pockets as he looked around the room groggily. Catching sight of your familiar figure, he began to approach. Without uttering a single word, he reached your side and lifted your legs gently before taking a seat on the sofa. You shifted your weight slightly when he rested your legs back on his lap, shooting Bucky a smile of acknowledgment before focusing back on the movie.

Sam, on the other hand, was now completely distracted from the film. He blatantly stared at the two of you, eyes scanning up and down your bodies as he took in your positions on the couch. He was utterly baffled by both your close proximity to and comfort with one another.

With the others, including Pam and Steve, the closest Bucky ever got to his friends was the rare and very awkward hug. Yet there he was lounging on the couch with your legs literally on top of him, where he'd put them.

It was only once Bucky began to fidget uncomfortably under his gaze, fiddling with the hem of your pajamas pants, that Sam tore his eyes away from the two of you and turned back to the screen. But his thoughts continued to remain elsewhere.

Over the past few weeks you and Bucky had been growing increasingly closer: more than any of you could have anticipated.

Despite still being somewhat wary of his arm, new boundaries between the two of you seemed to crumble with every day that passed. But only with you.
Of course, it had been expected to a certain degree, but as time went on everyone in the tower began to realize the extent to which your relationship was evolving. You ate together, hung out together during practically all of your free time, and even worked out together. There just had to be something more going on between the two of you.

(Tony, Sam and Rhodey were already placing bets.)

No one missed the blushes that seemed to grace both of your faces whenever the other was around and Pam even swore that she'd seen Bucky's arm around your shoulder one morning before she'd entered the kitchen.

However, all jokes and bets aside, the team was thrilled with the progress of yours and Bucky's relationship. Even only as friends, the two of you finally seemed to be happier.

The storm that was blowing through New York lasted all day and night, and while it left the tower feeling cold and gloomy, it did let for a beautiful morning the following day.

You stood alone before the large windows in the early morning hours, your mug warming your cold hands. You'd been the first to wake up that morning and, enjoying the silence with a hot cup of tea, you'd taken to watching the sunrise through the living room windows. Minute by minute the streams of light seemed to stretch through the clouds in the distance, lighting the dark sky until it molded into a a light blue.