Chapter VI: Zelda

When Link arrives that morning, Zelda throws him a look. He looks exhausted, hair a bit dishevelled, but despite his fatigued appearance, Link is smiling and certainly more than usual. A funny feeling rattles her. There's something odd about Link today.

Rarely does he express his emotions so openly, especially the more positive ones. It's as if he has received good news. As he walks over to greet her, Link's smile broadens, and she tries to smile back, although it's more half-hearted.

'How is Hyrule Castle coming along?' He asks.

Zelda turns her attention to the Castle. Thanks to the considerable amount of help she had from Hylians and other tribes, Hyrule Castle is recovering nicely. Work is still needed but it won't be long until Zelda can begin to live here.

It's a shame her father can't see just how quickly Hyrule has progressed since the defeat of Calamity. As each day passes, she misses him more; so much so, she could cry. She won't, though. As Princess of the Realm, it is vital Zelda keep her emotions under control, just as Link does.

Or, did anyway.

'Well,' she says abruptly.

Link frowns, puzzled by her tone. 'Are you all right?'

'Prince Sidon came to visit earlier.' Her jaw tenses, and she drops her gaze to the ground. 'It's weird; he was concerned about his sister's whereabouts. She didn't return to the Domain last night.'

Rather dumbly, Link just stares. 'Oh, right.'

'I was worried myself at first, until Sidon informed me Mipha had gone to visit you.'

Link doesn't appreciate her tone at all.

'I take it she's home safe now?'

'I imagine so,' Link mumbles.

Zelda nods. All her doubts and fears have come true. While it would be inappropriate of her to fall in love with her own Royal Guard, that doesn't mean she doesn't hold Link with warmth.

They have both been through Hell and back, together, hand-in-hand. Link probably knows her better than anybody.

It's just so silly of her. So fucking stupid that she actually thought Link and she might––

Clearly, they were not meant to be.

And while Zelda is perfectly capable of respecting that, she is still young, and she is still human. Zelda hates herself for the jealousy she's enduring. Picturing Link and Mipha, what undoubtedly happened last night, it makes her nauseous.

What also infuriates her is the fact she should be concerned with her duties; to continue building alliances; to restore Hyrule to its former glory. Yet, like some teenager, she finds herself eyeing another woman with envy.

It is cruel and unfair to dislike Mipha, but, in this moment, Zelda has to.

She doesn't even really understand herself what she's going through, and she wishes her father was here to talk to her about this. Perhaps the only person she can think of is Urbosa, but she would hate to waste Urbosa's time on matters as tedious and pathetic as love.

'Anyway,' Zelda sighs. 'I will be visiting Zora's Domain later to speak with Sidon about the Castle's progress so far.'

'I'll come with you.'

'No,' Zelda says meekly. 'No, you won't be coming with me.'

Link is stumped. He isn't entirely certain what Zelda knows, and if she does know, why does it matter so much? What happened between he and Mipha, shouldn't have any impact on his friendship with Zelda.