Chapter IX: Warrior

The Royal quarters is somewhere Link has never discovered before. It's private, separated from the rest of the Domain. One can hear the sound of waterfalls, a cool, pleasant breeze entering the room. She holds his hand as she guides him here, and the moment the door is shut, and they're alone together, they start all over again.

One of them ought to put their foot down and put a stop to this. Both know this is only temporary. Both know the repercussions that may come from making this relationship official, especially in their current circumstances. So, perhaps foolishly, they risk it in secret.

For now.

By this point, they're more familiar with one another; what the other wants, where it feels best. Link is confident. He knows. Hesitates less. In the confines of Mipha's quarters, he can at least take his time with her.

Link makes love to her softly and slowly. She can feel his muscles tense beneath her palms, his chest rising and falling, mouth on her neck, lips, everywhere. His affectionate movements are a striking contrast to his usual straightforward, blunt demeanour.

They try to remain as quiet as possible. Try. They made sure nobody witnessed her guide Link upstairs, and, as far as she can tell, they got away with it. He exhales sharply, and begins to shake as the sensation of her becomes overwhelming. In a desperate attempt to stay quiet, she pulls him down, slamming his mouth to hers.

Soon, they grow urgent. He rocks harder, faster, gasping; she clenches the bedsheets and pulls, arching her back as she lets out a breathless exclaim. Link shudders, helpless as she tightens around him through her orgasm and that in itself sends him over the edge. He continues to rock into her, slowing down as he goes limp, before surrendering.

'I love you,' he smiles lazily, rolling onto his side, and watching her with this adoring, almost dreamy expression.

Well, he's never looked at her like this before.

It takes her a few seconds just to find her voice and confess the very same. What they've stepped into is terrifyingly dangerous, and probably something they have never experienced before. Link has never actually been in love, and he certainly didn't expect the feeling to be dominating, this controlling.

Of course she hasn't forgotten what they discussed earlier. Saying no to him. If her father were still alive, if they were given more time to establish what they are; if they were just given time, then maybe. But they both know it's either he remain faithful to his duty, or betray it. If Link wants to belong to Royalty, then he has to adapt to a completely different way of life. Not only that, but he would have to sacrifice his role as Princess Zelda's Champion.

That is just out of the question. They both know it.

And despite his denials, Link is well aware of their reality.

Neither sleep very well. In fact, they don't sleep at all, and as soon as light begins to filter in through the window, they give up trying.

If she wanted to, she could pose the question to him. Have him make a decision right here and now, but why would she simply confirm her doubts?

It hurts. She dresses before him, quiet and sad. Link shuffles across the sheets, and wraps his arms around her middle, resting his head to her stomach. He breathes in deep, and clings on, just for a moment, closing his eyes as she runs her hands through his hair.

None of this was supposed to happen. It wasn't how she had planned it out, although, admittedly, nothing she ever imagined would have occurred. Not with Ganon, not with Zelda, not with her own death and now her new position. It's far too late now. And that's okay. They can handle that. They have to.