twenty-two » how to tie the knot

The Calloway house was in complete disarray on the day of the wedding

       People ran around in a flurry of bodies. Carter asked everyone where his tie was before the wedding photographer told him that he was already wearing it. An alarm clock was going off somewhere in the house, Micah was complaining that the downstairs bathroom was clogged and Lucille complained that she wasn't allowed to touch any alcohol before the ceremony started.

        The tent guys had come the day before to set up the two large white tents in the backyard that would be the setting for the ceremony and the reception.

        The caterers showed up five minutes late which almost made Carter go into cardiac arrest as he paced on the front porch waiting for the catering truck to arrive. Despite being late due to a traffic jam, they worked remarkably fast. They didn't even stop to lift their heads as they shooed Selene out of the kitchen, too busy piping icing on the three-tier wedding cake.

        The makeup artist and hair stylists had arrived at the same time as the photographer and videographer and Selene thought that if her eye wasn't taken out by a mascara wand it would be blinded by a camera flash.

        The fifty-two guests had all been seated by two oh one PM-- much to Carter's dismay as he wanted no one to see him before he walked down the aisle and new arrivals meant going back upstairs until the guest was seated and out of sight.

         The sun was shining and Carter squeezed Selene's hand excitedly.

         Selene squeezed back, giving a smile to Carter before she took her mother's arm and they walked down the aisle together towards her father.

        When they reached the end of the aisle, the wedding march began to play.

          The crowd all stood and turned to watch Carter walk down the aisle. Carter had worn an all-white suit with a small tulle veil that brushed his shoulders. His mother and father stood on either side of him practically beaming.

         Selene turned to her dad whose eyes were watering. She quickly looked away before she began to cry as well.

        Carter kissed both of his parents' cheeks and they headed to their seats.

          The minister took a deep breath and waited for everyone to sit before starting the ceremony.

          It felt like both a lifetime and only half an hour had passed when the minister finished, "I now pronounce you partners in life. You may now seal your union with a kiss."

          The crowd cheered as Carter and Micah kissed.

»

        It was partway into the reception when Selene tapped on the mic. "Hello," she said softly, getting slightly distracted by the echo of her voice.