Chapter Five

Mia looks at me, "H-hi, Victor."

I give Mia her books, "Here. I can leave now." I stand up.

"Victor, wait," Mia says, standing up. "I read your letter. It was well written." 

I nod, "Thanks, I try." 

She smiles a little, "I appreciate you explaining everything. You know, you could have told me. I could've helped you figure stuff out." 

"Yeah, I was just really scared at the time, and I didn't know what to do. Mia, I really wanted to like you." 

"It's fine," She says.

"You're not mad?" 

"No, Victor. Why would I be mad? You can't help who you are? I'll admit I was shocked at first, but I realized it's probably been hard for you." 

I smile, "You have no idea how much it means to me that you said that." 

"Are things hard at home? Have you told anyone else?" 

I nod, "I told my family, and now my dad won't speak to me." 

"Oh, that sucks," She replies. 

I nod, "I probably should get to class." 

"Yeah, yeah, totally," Mia says. "I'll see you around." 

I nod, "See you." I walk away from Mia, and to my next class. 

...

When I get back to my apartment, I hear my parents yelling at each other from outside the door. Not really wanting to walk in on them fighting, I stay outside. A few minutes later, Felix comes up the stairs. 

"Hey, dude," I say. 

"If you would've waited two more minutes, we could've walked home together," Felix replies. 

"I didn't want to intrude of you and Lake." 

He shakes his head, "You're never intruding." 

"Good news," I say. "I talked to Mia and she forgives me." 

"Really, that's awsome!" Felix says. "What about things with you and Benji?" 

"We're dating now," I grin. 

"That's great, I'm happy for you, dude." Felix says. "So, what are you doing out here." 

As if it was perfectly timed, I hear my mom yell, and glass break. I point to the door, "That's why?" 

"Oh," Felix replies. "Do you want to come to my place?" 

I shake my head, "No, I'll just wait it out." 

"Okay," Felix nods, looking slightly relieved. 

We wait in silence for a little bit. Soon my parents stop screaming at each other. 

"I think I can go inside now," I reply. 

"Okay," Felix nods. "And if you need anything, I'm just upstairs. Use the walkie talkie." 

I smile, "I'll talk to you later." 

He starts walking up the stairs, "See you later." 

I wave, "Bye." I'm about to go inside when my dad storms out carrying a suitcase. If he does notice me, he doesn't show it. It's not until he's halfway down the stairs when he stops and looks at me. He stares at me with unreadable eyes for a second and continues walking down the stairs.