Chapter Seven

"So, how was your date with Benji?" Felix asks the next day as we were walking to my work. 

I smile, "It went really well. We went to the drive-in movie theater." 

"Oh," Felix smiles. "I figured you went there. You know you seem really eager to get to work." 

I realize I was speed walking. I slow down to match Felix's pace. "Sorry, I kind of want to get there fast." 

"Why?" 

I give him a look. 

"Is Benji back?" He asks. 

"Yup!" I grin, "I don't know what I'm feeling. I mean, I really like Benji, obviously. I like hanging out with him, and I miss him when we're not together."

"Dude, I think you're in love," Felix says. "That's so sweat!" 

I roll my eyes, but I smile

"So, how are things at home?" Felix asks. 

I sigh, "It's quieter. Mainly because my dad left." 

"Wait really?" Felix asks. "I'm so sorry. Is he gone for good?" 

"I don't know. My mom said maybe a couple weeks." 

"How are you feeling?" 

"I'm fine. I mean he didn't accept me, so why should I miss him?" 

"You're still allowed to feel sad." 

I sigh, "I don't know how I feel about this. I wish he would've said something to me when he left. I also wish he would accept me for being gay, without saying such homophobic bulshit." 

Felix nods and looks down. "So you know I'm not the best at comforting people, and I don't know exactly what to say. I'm just going to say, you can feel angery about him leaving, and you can also feel sad. In my opinion, anyone who doesn't accept you for being gay doesn't deserve to be in your life. I know you're going to get through this, but you don't have to do it alone. I'm here, and Benji's also going to be there for you." 

I smile, "Thanks, Felix."

We finally make it to Brasstown, the coffee shop I work at. I turn to face Felix, "I'll talk to you during my break." 

"Okay," Felix pats my back. "Have fun with your boyfriend." 

I laugh to myself and get ready for work. 

....

The day flew by. Benji and I work well together. We spend most of the day joking around together, while also doing our job. At one point, I see Lake stop by, and she and Felix go into the bathroom together. 

"Did you see that too?" Benji asks. 

"Felix and Lake going into the same bathroom?" I ask. "Yeah, they do that a lot." 

Benji chuckles to himself. That's when Mia comes in. 

"How are things with Mia," Benji asks me. 

"We're cool, but it's still a little awkward. I'll go take her order," I say when I see her coming up to the counter. I go over to the register. "Hi, Mia!" 

She smiles, "Hi." 

We stare at each other for a minute. "So, what can I get you?" I ask. 

"Right, just an iced coffee," She replies. 

"Two dollars,"I reply. 

She gives me a five, and I give her three ones, "It'll be ready soon." I say. 

"Great!" 

I walk away from the counter and up to Benji, "That was really awkward."

"Yeah, I saw the whole thing," Benji says. 

I see Felix come out of the bathroom, and I check the time, "So I'm going to take my break now. Is that cool?" 

"Yeah," Benji says. "Right now we're not busy." 

"Great," I say. 

"Wait," Benji says and pushes me towards the backroom and kisses me. "Have a fun break." 

I smile, "I'll be back in a couple minutes." 

"I don't know how I'm going to make it without you," Benji says sarcastically. 

I laugh and walk towards Felix. He's sitting at the same table he was at this morning. "Hey dude, how's your day going?" 

"Great!" He says, "Lake and I-" 

"I know," I interrupt. "I saw you two going into the bathroom." 

"Were we that obvious?" 

"Yes." 

Felix laughs, "Anyway, you know Mia's here?" 

We both look over at Mia who's now talking to Lake with her ice coffee. 

I nod, "I know, I actually took her order." 

"Really, was it awkward?" 

"Super, but let's hope we eventually get past this awkward phase and become friends again." 

"You guys get along well, I'm sure you'll be friends in no time," Felix smiles. 

For the next ten minutes, Felix and I talk about school, Lake, and other random topics. My break is quickly over, and I have to get back to work. When I stand up, I see someone come into the shop. It's my dad.