Chapter Fourteen

Lunch the day after Mia and Andrew
broke up was awkward. Andrew was still sitting with us for some unknown reason. Lake didn't want to sit next to Mia, and Mia didn't want to sit next to Andrew. So, Mia and Felix sat on one bench. I sat on the other side of Mia, and Benji sat next to me on the bench. Lake sat on the other side of Felix, and Andrew sat next to her. For most of lunch, no one said a word.

About half way through lunch, Benji whispered to me, "Okay, what's going on?"

"Couple stuff," I whisper back. "I'll tell you later."

Ten minutes until lunch is over, Mia says, "Lake, you haven't said a word to me in days. Please talk to me."

"I've said what I needed to say," Lake says. "It's your turn."

"I don't know where to start! I'm very confused about everything," Mia exclaims.

"Are you confused because you like girls," Andrew asks.

"Wait, you like girls?" Lake asks.

"I think so, I'm not sure!"

"Wait what's going on?" Andrew asks.

"Lake has a crush on Mia," Felix blurts out.

"Seriously," Lake exclaims. "You can't keep one secret!"

"I'm sorry, I'm bad at that," Felix says.

"Felix has a crush on you," Lake tells Andrew.

"Wait, what?" Andrew looks taken aback.

"Goddammit!" Felix exclaims.

"Wait, is that true," Andrew asks.

"Yes," Felix confesses.

Andrew blinks, unsure what to say, "Felix, I-"

"Just shut up. You don't have to say anything," Felix stands up and runs away.

"Felix," Andrew runs after him.

"Mia, do you like me or not?" Lake asks.

"I just need time to figure stuff out," Mia exclaims and runs towards to building. Lake runs away in the other direction.

It leaves Benji and me alone at the table.

"Well, that happened," Benji says.

"Who knew we were the stable ones," I ask.

.....

After school, I was working again at Brasstown. Felix came over during my break, and we talked.

"Do you want to talk about what happened at lunch?" I ask.

Felix shrugs, "What's there to talk about?"

"The fact that Andrew now knows you have a crush on him. Did he end up saying anything to you?"

Felix shakes his head, "No."

"Did you give him a chance to talk?" I ask.

"I managed to lose him after lunch. So, I guess I didn't give him a chance to talk, but I know what he's going to say. He'll probably make some dumb joke, say he's flatter, but not interested."

"He might like you back," I reason.

Felix sighs, "I haven't gotten far expecting the best from Andrew."

"I thought you said he was trying to change."

"Trying is the key word."

I sigh and check the time, "Look my break's over, but we should talk later."

"See you later," Felix says as I walk away.

I walk over to Benji at the counter, "I'm here to relive you."

Benji laughs and sarcastically says, "Thanks, I just don't know if I'm going to make it."

We both laugh.

"So, how's Felix doing?" He asks.

"I think he's scared about how Andrew's going to react."

"Well, I'm taking my break now. I can go talk to him."

I laugh, "You'll probably give him better advice. Being the gay messiah is hard work."

Benji laughs and walks over to Felix. I take orders from the occasional customer who comes up to the counter. Ten minutes later, Benji comes back.

"Bye guys," Felix yells and walks out.

I wave at him, "He seems happy. What d'you say to him?"

Benji shrugs, "I told him another story about my crush on you."

I blush, "I still think it's cute you had a crush on me."

"Well, you had one on me too."

I laugh, "I know."

.....

The next few days, I noticed something different about Andrew. His entire demeanor changed. He was quieter, didn't make as much snarky comments in class, and he frequently zoned out. Finally, I confronted him about it.

"Hey," I say walking up to Andrew after our English class. "Are you okay? You seem different since... lunch that day."

"Yup, I'm fine," Andrew says and pushes past me.

Well, I tried to help him. He clearly doesn't want to talk to me. I gather my things and walk into the hallway, and I see Mia and Lake. They're both standing next to Mia's locker, laughing and holding hands.