Confrontation

Luka stumbled backwards and fell, hitting the ground hard. He was dazed for a second and then looked up at Marinette. She was standing over him, her hands clenched by her sides. "Wh... what are you doing?" he asked, shocked.

Adrien had his mouth hanging open, as did most of the other people who were around. Nino, Alya, Luka's sister Juleka, and a few other students from their class were there and had witnessed the hit.

"Who's Victoria?" Marinette yelled at the boy on the ground.

Luka blinked up at her. "Victoria?" he repeated, his eyes widening. "She's no one" he said, getting back up to his feet. "She's... just a friend."

Marinette's eye twitched. "Just a friend?" she asked quietly.

Luka nodded vigorously at her.

Reaching into her purse, she grabbed her phone and turned it on. Then she held it up in front of his face so he could see it. "So, THIS is what you do with your friends?" she demanded.

Luka's face went completely pale at seeing the picture on the screen.

There he was, his arms wrapped around Victoria, giving her a passionate kiss. The picture was as clear as day. There was no mistaking what was happening.

For a second Luka just stood there, then he looked back at Marinette. "I... I'm sorry" he said as she lowered the phone down. "I'm so sorry Marinette, I made a huge mistake. Please forgive me."

Adrien and the other students had slowly moved closer to the couple, surrounding them as they watched the scene. Some of them were craning their necks, trying to see the picture on the phone. Others were too focused on the drama to bother trying to catch a glimpse.

Marinette stared up at Luka. All of her anger suddenly disappeared, but was quickly replaced with sorrow. "I thought you loved me" she whispered, the tears coming once again.

He took a step towards her. "I do love you, Marinette. I love you so much. I swear, I'm going to end things with Victoria... she means nothing to me. You're the only one I love."

Marinette shook her head slightly. "How could you do that to me?"

"I'm so sorry. Please forgive me" Luka said, moving one step closer. He grabbed her hand and pulled it up in between them. "Please Marinette, I'll do anything. Just give me a second chance."

She tilted her head to the side. "Second chance?"

Luka nodded. "Yes Marinette, please. And I promise, I will never hurt you again." He moved closer and put his other hand to her cheek. "I love you so much. I'll do anything for you."

She continued staring up at him. It felt like an eternity before she spoke. "Okay" she whispered.

Adrien's heart sank. He couldn't believe this was happening. Marinette was going to take him back. And he would do the exact same thing again. Luka didn't appreciate her, and he certainly didn't love her. Marinette needed to be with someone who would cherish her.

Luka smiled at the blunette in front of him. "Thank you, thank you. I love you so..."

"Here's what I want you to do" Marinette interrupted.

Luka quickly nodded his head.

She continued. "I want you to turn around, I want you to go home... and I want you to never come near me again."

His face dropped, but she kept talking.

"Don't call me. Don't text me. Don't come to my house. Don't come to my school." She paused. "Never come near me again" she finished in a whisper, a tear falling down her cheek.

Luka blinked as tears came to his eyes too. "Marinette, please..." he tried to say but she pulled away from him and turned around. She ran over to Alya, who wrapped her up in a hug.

Adrien saw Luka take a step towards her so he moved forward quickly, blocking his path. "Luka... it's over" he said, holding his hands up to stop him. "Just go home."

Luka continued looking at Marinette as some tears started falling. Juleka came up next to him. "Let's go Luka" she said, pulling his arm. Reluctantly he turned and let his sister guide him away.

Marinette was still holding onto her best friend when they left. Breaking apart, Alya put her hands to the sides of Marinette's face. "You did the right thing, girl. He doesn't deserve you."

Marinette nodded.

"Now come on" Alya continued, "I'll take you home."

Adrien watched as the two girls went down the sidewalk towards Marinette's house. He desperately wanted to talk to her, to comfort her, to be there for her. But he knew that she needed space at the moment. For now he would have to wait.

************************************

All evening Adrien thought about Marinette. About how upset she must be, about what he would say to her the next day, about when he would see her smile again.

He lay in bed trying to fall asleep, but he couldn't get the blunette out of his head. Every time he closed his eyes all he could see was her.

Poor Marinette. What happened to her was just awful. But she was too good for Luka anyway. Alya was right, he didn't deserve her. She deserved so much better.

Marinette was... well she was amazing. There was simply no other way to describe her.

Eventually she would get over Luka and find someone who would treat her right. Someone who would value her. Someone who would appreciate her. Someone who would love her.

Marinette needed someone like that. Someone like...

Adrien's eyes went wide and his breath caught in his throat. Someone like him.

He valued her. He appreciated her. And now that he thought about it, he loved her too.

That was why he was so bothered by Luka after they started dating. He was jealous. Jealous that someone else was with Marinette.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng, the wonderful girl who sat behind him in class. The girl who would do anything for anyone. The girl who had always been there for him.

As he lay in bed, Adrien made a promise to himself. He would be there for her. He would prove to her that she was valued, that she was appreciated and, most importantly, that she was truly loved.

And hopefully in time, he would get the chance to be the boyfriend that Marinette deserved to have.