Chapter One

"You don't think this is too much for the first day?" I ask Casey, holding up the dark denim skirt she's picked out for me

"Hell no!" She grabs the skirt from me and places it back on the bed with the rest of the outfit. The outfit consists of a denim skirt with buttons down the middle, a plain white shirt, and some silver accessories. "It's just a jean skirt, Lace. It's not a formal gown or anything. Plus, you got a killer tan over the summer. You have to show your legs off."

I spent the summer with my grandparents at their lake house and purposely got as much sun as I could get. The time I spent in the sun gave me time to think about this coming school year. I would start school without the support of my parents, without Jacob, and without a clue of what will happen.

My eyes trace over the outfit and I sigh. "Fine, but I'm wearing my cute white shoes with this." She originally had some wedges paired with the outfit, but I said no when I had a vision of myself breaking an ankle in the hall. My white sneakers will make it a little more casual and more my style.

Casey rolls her eyes with dramatic effect. "I guess I'll let it slide this time."

Outfit searching is getting old. "Anyway," I say as I sit down with her on my bed. "What time are you getting there tomorrow?"

"My usual time," she says, shrugging. "Why?"

"I don't want to get there too early. I just want to get in and get out." And avoid certain people as much as possible.

She gives me a look I'm all too familiar with. "You can't avoid him forever."

"I can try."

"You can try, but it won't last." She scoots closer to me. "I know it's going to be hard, but you're going to have to face him sooner or later."

I haven't spoken to Jacob since I confronted him in the parking lot. He tried to text and call me over the summer, but I ignored every one of his attempts. I've even stayed off social media to avoid him. "I hate that you're right."

"Don't let him ruin your year. This is your year."

The healing process has been slow, but Casey has been the most helpful. After that day in the parking lot it was like everyone took his side, whatever side that was. Friends I thought were my friends ditched me, except for Casey. It's been hard to accept that my first serious boyfriend cheated on me. There were moments over the summer when I wanted to call him and forgive him just so I could have him back in my life. When I caught myself trying to reach out to him, I remembered I couldn't trust him. The truth, no matter how hard it's been to accept, is that I don't need him in my life. He's just a stupid boy.

"This is my year," I nod. "I'm not going to let Jacob or any other stupid boy ruin it for me."

"That's the spirit!" she exclaims, clasping her hands together. "You're going to be happier this year, Lace. I just know it."