Chapter Ten

Music from my phone plays softly as background music to me clearing some clothes out of my closet on Monday night. The amount of clothes I hardly ever wear is growing and I have to clear them out before my closet explodes. I'm not interested in wearing half of my wardrobe, and I like to see it as a shedding of the skin. Out with the old and in with the new. Since they're all in good shape, I'm shoving them into a large bag that I can donate.

My music stops suddenly so I figure it's an incoming call. Dylan's name is flashing on the screen when I grab my phone.

I smile as I answer. "Hey, Dylan."

"What are you up to?" he asks.

"Just hanging out here at home. Mostly cleaning my closet."

"Sounds very fun on this lovely Monday night. What would you say if I told you I have something even better for you to do?"

My legs fold under me as I sit on my bed. "Well, I would ask what that could be?"

"There's a diner downtown that has bomb ass cheese fries that I've been craving, and I know you can't resist the cheese."

How sweet, he remembered. "That's a tempting offer."

"Who said it's an offer?"

The doorbell rings throughout the apartment. "What do you mean?" I ask him, but the line goes dead.

My aunt Jade walks past my room and I hear her open the door and begin talking to whoever rang the doorbell. I toss my phone onto the bed and saunter around the corner. Dylan is standing at the threshold of the front door.

"Lacey, you have a visitor," my aunt Jade says, smiling knowingly at me.

Dylan smirks when he sees me. "Surprise."

Before I can say anything, Aunt Jade cuts in. "We love surprises! I mean, she loves surprises." She opens the door wider for him. "Come in, come in."

"If it's okay, I'd like to take Lacey to a diner downtown. We won't be too long, I promise," he says as she closes the door behind him.

"Well, that sounds like a great idea," she says.

Dylan looks at me expectantly.

I trail my eyes down my body and realize I have to change out of my comfy shorts and old t-shirt. "I guess I'll go change."

Rushing into my room and shutting the door behind me, I search through my clothes to find something decent to wear. The task is only slightly difficult considering my clothes are a mess, but already out. I try not to take too long. I'm afraid of what aunt Jade will say to him if I don't hurry.

In my hands are some jean shorts and a loose, navy blue shirt and I quickly pull them on. I throw on my sandals and toss my keys and wallet in my purse. I think about putting on makeup, but it'll take too much time, so I only brush on some mascara. I tousle my hair before walking out.

Dylan is sitting on our small couch and Aunt Jade is walking out of the kitchen with a water bottle in hand. She hands it to him and he thanks her.

"Are you ready?" I ask Dylan.

He towers over me as he stands next to me. A hint of cologne hits me that doesn't smell familiar.

"Have fun," Aunt Jade says in a sing-song voice as we make our way outside the apartment.

Descending the stairs I turn and look at him. 'You're sneaky," I say.

A smirk is on his face in no time. "I'm never sneaky. I plan things very well."