5: Truth Be Told

Waking up, with the morning suns beams projecting over my face, felt very refreshing after what happened yesterday. Yawning and letting my eyes adjust. But then I felt something stir on my shoulder. I looked up to see Tanjiro had fallen asleep next to me, with his head resting on my own. I began to blush, he looked so peaceful when he was asleep.

He was beginning to stir awake, he opened his droopy eyes and slowly looked down at me. Catching me staring at him. He realized what was going on and scrambled to the other end of the waiting area in a matter of seconds.

I grabbed ahold of my bag and buried my red face. Tanjiro was rubbing the back of his neck making sure to look anywhere but at me, his own face a flash of red. Once I had calmed down and, my face turned back to normal I noticed there were only 3 other people beside Tanjiro and myself.

Soon the sun was high up in the sky. And the two girls from the start of this terrible event appeared. "Congratulations, you have all past the Final Selection." We all faced the two of them, listening to what will happen next.

One of them clapped their hands and crows came flying down. But the bird that landed on my shoulder was a little bluebird. It chirped happily as it grasped my shoulder with its small feet. Bluebirds were rare and only a few lived here, so I was pretty surprised to see one.

The girls then began to tell us about the ten ranks in the Demon Slayer Corps. Currently, we are the lowest rank: Mizunoto. As they were explaining, one of the boys who had a shaved head and a scar over his nose, he grabbed at the girl with white hair and began yelling into her face.

The creepy thing was she didn't even flinch and she was still smiling. I took a step forward to confront the boy. But Tanjiro was already next to him holding onto his arm tightly.

To be honest, I'm surprised by how fast he moved. I couldn't hear exactly was going on, but Tanjiro's face was deadly serious. The boy's arm began to curl up in an unnatural way.

Tanjiro was gonna break it at any second. The boy jumped back letting go of the girl's hair and holding at his arm. He looked up at Tanjiro menacingly and Tanjiro glared back. 

He took a step back and Tanjiro relaxed. Tanjiro began walking back over to me, as we all continued to listen to the girls. 

They explained to us about a lot of things but I was hardly listening. I was too busy thinking about how my old sweet childhood friend, become so strong and slightly aggressive.

Once the girls had explained everything they moved out the way to reveal a stone table with a magenta sheet over it. One of them pulled off the sheet, and on the table was ore chunks of different shapes and sizes.

The ore was in it's earliest state. The state where it seems to have just been mined. "Choose one to be created into your new weapons." both instructed. I looked at each of the ores individually. Each giving of their own aurora. 

Tanjiro had sniffed the air slightly, then he took a step forward to retrieve his chosen ore. I myself also chose an ore that felt right.

In the end, everyone chose an ore and soon afterwards we could all head back home. At first, I planned on heading back to Miss. Sakura's house, but once I saw how exhausted Tanjiro was I changed my mind. 

Swinging my bag onto my shoulder, making sure not to hit the little bluebird, Tanjiro had found a stick to use to help him walk. I was honestly tired myself. I just followed Tanjiro as he slowly made his way to where he had come from. Neither of us said anything as we walked.

The sun was already dipping into the horizon, I was now completely exhausted and Tanjiro looked like he was about to collapse at any minute. I placed one of his arms over my shoulder once his grip on his stick began to fade. He was barely conscious.