o n e

^ art by @/pechaberrie on insta

cw: graphic description/ slight gore

~ part one ~

Crimson colored blood stretched as far as Sophie could see. She heard nothing but the clanging of swords, felt nothing but her sweat soaked hair, the tacky dried blood on her clothes.

Ruy had been killed by one of the Black Swan's goblin warriors. Defenseless without their prisonipath, the Neverseen were forced into sword to sword combat. Tam shrouded all their leaping crystals and pathfinders in shadows, keeping them from leaping away. Unfortunately, this left Tam, one of their most powerful fighters, out of commission.

Sophie tried desperately to pay no attention to the red stained grass. But it lingered in the corner of her vision, even as she fought with another member of the Neverseen.

"Just give up." He grunted, turning his sword in another direction, which she twisted her sword to block. "You're never going to win."

The way her body contorted lit a previous wound on fire, wincing slightly, she forces out a gruff, "We'll see about that."

Sandor's voice rang in her ears as the force of his blow almost caused her arms to give out. Find their weak spot, where they won't be able to fight you back. And no matter what, don't let them find your's.

Fighting him with brute force from below him wasn't working out. The sword slips slightly from her grasp, sweat making getting a grip nearly impossible.

She throws his sword back in his direction, immediately levitating to higher ground, throwing her sword down in a precise swing.

He raises his sword up to block her strike. Shoving his sword in her direction, pushing her back violently. Her levitation wasn't very strong, the blow caused her to wobble in midair. He grinned at her, slashing his sword at her side. She didn't think to block, his sword cutting deeply into her torso, biting into an old wound. She cried out at the pain, tears beginning to blur her eyes.

She pushed through the burning sensation, keeping herself suspended in midair, knowing that the pain would likely double if she put weight on it. She pressed one of her hands onto the wound, trying in vain to keep her blood in.

He chuckled, lifting off the ground himself. "Two can play at this game."

Sophie weakly thrust her sword towards him, which he skillfully blocked. The sword began to get heavier in her grasp and black spots began to take up her vision.

So many people she cared for were fighting somewhere out on the field. She prayed to absolutely anyone that they were currently safe.

A cheer suddenly rang out from another section of the field.

Sophie smiles. "Hear that? It means we've won."

He shook his head in disbelief, and to be honest, Sophie couldn't believe it either. "No. It can't be."

"It is." Sophie heard distant shouting, it took her a moment to realize they were calling her name.

She whispered a prayer as a crazy idea popped into her head. She dove for his stomach, her sword slicing through with a sickening squelch.

Blood trickled down the corners of his mouth as Sophie watched the life slowly drain from his eyes. She dropped her sword that was still deeply imbedded in him, her stance and her concentration wavering.

His eyes went glossy as his body falls to the ground, it was as if it were all happening in slow motion. He looked at her in the eyes as if asking her why?