04 • W A V E R L Y • 📚

Naomi had been calling me all week. I successfully kept Theo away by telling him I was on my period (in those exact words to incite the most fear). He dropped off a giant bag of peanut M&Ms and kept his distance.

Nothing worked on Naomi, though. At least she had the decency to not show up on my doorstep. But I was about ready to throw my phone out the window.

When Saturday rolled around I was a giant ball of mixed emotions. I missed hanging out with Naomi and Theo, yet I never wanted to see their stupid face again. Especially not if those faces were kissing on each other.

I spent the past few days in a cyclone of what ifs.

What if I told Theo how I felt as soon as I caught feelings?

What if I never told Naomi?

What if me pointing out how Theo had changed made Naomi want him too?

What if Theo was a girl and neither of us fell for her therefore not ruining our perfect trio?

The last text Naomi sent me last night asked about the book festival which, with everything else going on, I almost forgot about. She wanted to know if I was still going. I didn't reply.

"You didn't mention nothing about waking up at five a.m." Dad yawned his way over to the fresh pot of coffee I made.

I locked my phone and set it aside, amused by my dad's Captain America pajamas. I definitely got my nerdiness from him.

Being up that early didn't bother me. I was always a morning person. The still, quiet if the early morning was perfect. I could get cozy in Dad's recliner with a cup of coffee and a book and get lost for an hour or two before the day began.

Mom and Bryce were still asleep. It was weird sitting in the kitchen without all the usual chaos. The festival started at nine and I didn't want to miss a second of it, which meant missing our morning breakfast.

After Dad was properly caffeinated and changed into something less geeky we hit the road, stopping to get breakfast from McDonald's. On the way.

My phone buzzed with yet another text when we hit the freeway. I was surprised to see it was from Theo, wanting to know if they should meet me at the fair.

They? Naomi and Theo were a they?

Wait. Did that mean they were together? That early in the morning? Did she stay at his house. Maybe he stayed at her's?

Whatever. I couldn't let myself go down that thought spiral. I shut off my phone and buried it deep in my purse.

• • •

"Wow."

Wow was right. It was a few minutes until nine and there was already a line wrapped around the outside of the high school that hosted the festival.

Excitement bubbled through me as I thought about coming face to face with some of my favorite authors, having them sign my books and possibly getting free bookish swag.

"That's a...long line," Dad said, staring in amazement. Or fear.

"You don't have to wait with me."

He grinned at me then. "And that's why you're my favorite daughter."

I choose not to point out that I was his only daughter. "What are you going to do while I'm in there?"

"Don't worry about me," he said. "I have papers to grade, so I'll be plenty busy."