18 • W A V E R L Y • 🥰

"I think your cup is empty."

Naomi locked eyes with me across the table and took another long, obnoxious slurp through her straw.

"Cute," I said, both of us laughing. I took another bite of my chili fries, looking out at the ocean. "I don't want to leave."

"Me either," Naomi agreed, leaning back in her chair.

After lounging around on the beach for hours we came up to the boardwalk for chili fries and to maybe do some shopping before the stores closed up for the night. I needed to upgrade my wardrobe a bit.

It was nice getting to hangout with one of my best friends, doing nothing but enjoying the sun and watching shirtless guys play volleyball. It was the most relaxed I'd been since summer started.

"We should get a tent and sleep in the backyard tonight," Naomi sighed, longingly.

"Since when do you like camping?"

She frowned, stealing one of my fries. "I don't. Theo keeps bringing it up, though. It was one of the items on our summer list."

I'd forgotten all about the list. "Oh yeah. Summer is over in two months and we haven't done a single thing we wrote down."

Naomi dug in her purse and pulled out a folded piece of pink stationary, the same one she ripped from her journal for us to create the list. "Well, we're at the beach, so that's one thing to check off."

"It doesn't count. Theo isn't here," I pointed out.

When we made the list it was meant for all three of us to go on adventures. Together. If only Theo could be here helping with the wedding. Actually, we'd probably never get anything done if he were there. It'd be like all the group projects we almost didn't finish whenever we grouped up in middle school.

"Hold on," Naomi said, picking up her phone from the table. A few seconds later Theo's face took up her screen. "Now he's here," she grinned.

"You're at the beach without me?" Theo complained as Naomi panned her camera along the view to show him.

"Why do you think I'm FaceTiming you?" Naomi said, holding the phone out so that we could both see him. "Can't you smell the salty water? Feel the sand between your toes?"

"All I feel is left out," he pouted and I wondered how I ever thought I was in love with him.

Naomi, who was probably actually in love with him, was swooning while I just rolled my eyes. It was the same reaction I'd have towards Bryce and his antics.

"We'll all go the next time you're here," I said, feeling a little bad that he wasn't with us then.

"And we'll go camping in Waverly's backyard," Naomi added.

Theo shook his head. "Nope. We're camping in the actual wilderness."

Now Naomi was pouting. "You've seen her backyard. It's basically the same thing."

"Babe, trust me. It'll be fun."

Naomi flinched, looking up at me. Her eyes apologetic. "Theo..."

On the phone screen Theo's brow creased in question. "What?"

I was confused too until it registered with me that Theo just called her "babe". She must've thought I still had a crush on him. Which I absolutely did not. That might have been why she never brought up her relationship with him.

"Naomi, it's fine," I said, meaning it. "That moment of temporary madness has passed."

Recognition flooded Theo's face. "Oh, that? Waverly isn't worried about us. She wants her neighbor." He smirked smugly and I glared at the screen.