Chapter 43

Edgar was at the table, gushing over a meal that was nothing short of succulent. He hadn't eaten that good since he met with Norsberg to get his original assignment and that meal likely cost the old fart a few hundred dollars. There were several people at the main table to join Cyrus and his old lady for dinner. Devon had cleaned himself up, and Mrs. Johnson who was out of her element and a stranger to everyone was being treated like the queen, being waited on hand and foot. The hosts were aware of her value to Edgar and made sure she was more than well taken care of so that Edgar could concentrate on thinking about his next move and what to do with their less than friendly guests below. They were feasting on a fine meal that consisted of a massive ham, mashed potatoes, various veggies and some bread pudding that wasn't too rubbery and not to wet. Edgar had two helpings as there was enough on the table to feed a small army. It was hard for him to think of anything over his stuffed belly, but something managed to take his attention. While talking to Cyrus and Devon about the state of the designated hitter and its importance in the game, he felt a bit of a rumbling below. It wasn't his belly digesting the fine meal, but his cell phone vibrating in his pocket. He considered not even answering it since a talk with Norsberg could cause some indigestion, but decided to at least look at the phone to make sure it wasn't something important he was missing. When he fished into his pocket to get the phone out, several people at the table groaned their displeasure at his lack of table etiquette. After taking one look at the phone, Edgar quickly sat up and looked over at Devon.

     "It's Jerome's cell phone," he stood up from the table and quickly excused himself and left the room. Devon also excused himself followed him out, eager to hear in on this conversation and get the skinny on what was going on. Cyrus decided to stay in the room and keep Mrs. Johnson company while his wife left the room to make after dinner tea. Edgar paused for a moment and looked at the number again and then finally answered it.

     "Hello?" he said not sure what response he was going to get.

     "I'm looking for Edgar Willis." the other side quickly answered.

     "This is he." Edgar answered, "I assume by the name that appeared on my phone that you're the one holding my friend and client right now?"

     "That would be correct." The voice on the other end answered.

     "Then you'll forgive me for not staying on the line too long." Edgar added, "I'll need a moment to discuss this development with my people and we'll get back to you. Keep this phone with you and we'll call back soon. I have the number."

     Edgar didn't give the other side a chance to respond and disconnected the line. Right after hanging up the phone, Edgar proceeded to shut down the phone and also remove the battery as well to completely disable it. Based on the time Edgar did give them, they likely knew what state they were in but nothing more. But the biggest development was that they now had the ability to communicate with the other side. He needed time to think about what he was going to do next before calling him back. They both walked back into the room and joined Cyrus and Mrs. Johnson while waiting for tea to come. Edgar could tell by the look in his eyes that Cyrus had a good idea of what just happened but said nothing.

     "It was an important call, but I let the person know we could talk later after supper." he tossed both pieces from his cell phone over to Cyrus, "Make sure that gets destroyed. I hope you have a line that is a little more secure so I can return that call?"

     "No," Cyrus replied, "But I have a good little techie who can make your line untraceable long enough to negotiate something. He'll have it bounced off several satellites and it will give you enough time to pick a place for whatever you guys plan to do to resolve this little issue."

     "Sounds like a plan," Edgar said, returning to his meal.

     Cyrus usually had a cigar after supper but he stuffed it into his pocket and would have it later as his guests might not be cool with that at the table. He usually wasn't this considerate of other people's feelings, but since one of them is passing over almost a full mill for his services, it didn't hurt to be considerate this one time. Once they had finished their tea, the men excused themselves and left the table in a hurry while Mrs. Johnson and Cyrus' wife started to clean up. Edgar was standing out on the deck outside the house and thinking to himself when Cyrus and Devon joined him to see what was on his mind. He looked back at them as they walked out onto the deck.

     "You know why he used Jerome's cell." Edgar started as he leaned back on the rail, "He wanted me to immediately know that Jerome and Jessica were in his custody."

     "What do you think he wants?" Cyrus asked a little behind the two men who are paid to think on their feet.

     "Since we are both in possession of something that we both want back, it seems fairly obvious what they want." Edgar scratched his mini beard and thought it over leaving the answer out for everyone else to draw on their own since it didn't take a genius to realize what they wanted.

     "A trade?" Devon filled in.

     "Exactly." Edgar confirmed as he slammed a fist into the rail, "It appears the only way we can assure Jerome and Jessica's safe release is to return the two goons and Mrs. Johnson back to their custody."

     "Do I still get paid if they're returned to their people?" Cyrus asked seeming rather one tracked for the time being. Devon couldn't help but let out a whimper of a giggle at that comment.

     "Seeing that we're here and taking advantage of your hospitality, I'd have to say yes. Jerome and Jessica's capture had nothing to do with you. You guys were great today and have earned every penny." Edgar started to fiddle with his beard, and seemed very distracted, "I'm just not sure it's possible to pull this one off."

     "What do you mean?" Devon asked.

     "How can we pull off a deal with a group like that?" Edgar repeated, "They could use law enforcement to help them, and I can trust them about as far as I can throw them. How can we pull off a deal without ourselves being capture or arrested?"

     "Isolated location." Cyrus chipped in, "You pick something like an abandoned factory and we scout the place like a week before you even make an offer. Stall for time so we can pick a good place. I'll have my men set up all over the place and if we see more than two or three people arrive who are not supposed to be there, we cancel the deal and try again later. And we just keep trying until the pull off a fair trade."

     "That actually sounds like a good plan." Devon confirmed, "But how do you stall long enough to do this task?"

     "I'll take care of that," Edgar said as he seemed to find himself liking this idea the more he thought of it, "While the trade will be made in private, the negotiations will be held in public. I want to meet this guy face to face in a very public place. This will give you guys three or four days to find a place. Start looking now. I'm going to make a few phone calls to make sure everyone is on the same page and approve of the plan." he took Devon by the arm as he tried to leave with Cyrus, "Give the two guys below some food and ease up on the rough stuff, at least for now. You can question him, but do it over food this time out. But keep it up because it looks like our time with them is going to be very limited. And I'm gonna need your cell phone."

     "Sounds like a plan." Devon said, obviously disappointed but was understanding as he passed over his cell. "It's alright, mate. I got my licks in, so I don't mind going softer this time out. The soft treatment might do a better job than roughing him up again."

     Edgar watched as the two men left. They all seemed to be on the right page, but there was one more person Edgar needed to speak with to make sure the plan was okay with him. He dialed a number and waited for someone to respond and pass him through.