warring

When she pulled back in the driveway after her long day at work, Vienna noticed her mother's car parked in front of her. She breathed in a sharp breath, hoping to herself that her mom was already asleep and she wouldn't have to greet her.

The last few months had changed Vienna incredibly, but her mother was the one truly affected by the loss of her father. Vienna watched her mother change from an encouraging, loving person to someone she barely recognized. Her mom has now cold and distant from Vienna. When they did speak to each other, Vienna's mother would criticize her and shame her for ruining her life.

She didn't hold it against her mother, she knew better than to think this was her own fault. But she still couldn't ignore how broken her mother was following her dad's suicide. If only she would see someone. If only she would get the help she so desperately needed.

Vienna opened the back door, hoping to sneak up to her room and evade her mother's berating. To her disdain, she walked into the kitchen to see her mother seated at the table in the dark.

"It's late, Vienna." She cringed at her mother's use of her first name. The same familiar chill ran down her back and she thought of her father once again.

"I know. Just got off from the restaurant."

"If you weren't always so late he wouldn't have left us. You could've stopped him." Her mother's words were cold and full of pain. It was evident she blamed Vienna almost as much as she blamed herself.

"I can't deal with this tonight, mom. I'm exhausted." Her voice was desperate as Vienna muttered these words to her mother. "Please just let me go to bed."

Her mother stood up, her body frail with the pain and loss she bottled inside. "You don't think I'm exhausted?" she spitted at Vienna. "You don't think I wish I would have done everything different?! I wish I had gotten rid of you when I had the chance!" she screamed at her before issuing a swift slap in Vienna's face.

Vienna stepped back. Her mother had said some cruel things over the course of the last nine months. But this was a new low. Tears welled in her eyes and she found her nails dug deep into her palms. She couldn't take it anymore. "I'll leave."

Her mother's eyes grew confused at her response. Vienna's mother thought for a moment before regaining her cold expression. As much as Vienna hated to admit it, she knew her mother had a long way to go before she could stop blaming her for what happened that night. "Then go." Vienna stood still. She waited for her mother to change her mind, to apologize and welcome her back into her arms. But she knew better.

Vienna walked past her mother and ran up the stairs. "Shit" she hissed. She felt her cheeks grow hot as warm teardrops slid down her face. Her breath began to hasten.

Vienna ran into her room, locking the door behind her. Her hands flew up to her hair as her her knees buckled beneath her. Blinking through hot, heavy tears, she looked at the bedroom she had spent the last 24 years in.

The walls were still painted sky blue with clouds from when the room was a nursery. Posters ripped from magazines were plastered along the walls, detailing all of Vienna's childhood crushes and obsessions. A few, dead houseplants lined the windowsill, reminiscent of when she could care for something else, let alone herself.

She caught her breath and stood, turning toward her closet. She reached for the top shelf, grabbing down a dusty suitcase.

It was time for a fresh start.

Before she graduated, one of her old friends told her about how she dreamed of moving to the Pacific Northwest. Jane Cortez had always been a woman of her word. Vienna knew she was sure to be somewhere beautiful and full of life.

Vienna pulled out her phone and found Jane's contact. "You can do this," she mumbled to herself before clicking the little call sign.

A few rings later, a timid "Hello?" answered the phone.

"Hey... Jane?"

"Oh my gosh, Vienna! I heard about your dad. I'm so sorry I didn't call." After the year she had had, Vienna wasn't often trusting. But she felt that Jane truly meant it when she apologized for not reaching out sooner.

"Jane, I have a favor to ask."

____________

I hope you're enjoying the story thus far. Everything is about to pick up in pace and our darling Vienna will be meeting a certain Matthew Gray Gubler very soon. Just you wait.