newness

Vienna couldn't stop thinking about that call. Something in the way that man spoke, in the way he asked questions. She felt like he truly cared about her answers.

She knew better than to get her hopes up. But she wasn't going to give up just yet. The last nine months had been hell and she felt that Oregon was the key to some true healing from her past. Maybe Matthew would have something to do with that.

She was an hour away from the town of Rose. The last few hours of driving acted as a confirmation of her decision. Between sprawling coastline and the beautiful trees on either side of the road, she felt a great sense of peace in the stunning scenery of the Oregon.

"Here we go." She gripped the steering wheel tight, there was no going back now.

-------

The town of Rose, Oregon had a unique charm that drew Vienna in the second she arrived. Surrounded by autumn colored trees, the city center held a charming array of diners, inns, secondhand stores, and general stores. There was a small, white church perched in the city center, decorated with beautiful stained glass and a bell tower situated on the top.

She pulled up to the Inn at the Rose and glanced at the time on her phone.

7:34 PM

She had made great time. She departed from her car and walked up to the quaint red building. She took a deep breath and prepared herself for whatever was to come.

Just inside the Inn was a beautiful display of fall treats. Pumpkin pie, candy apples, and sugar cookies lined the table leading to the welcome desk. Seated behind the desk was a beautiful woman with vibrant red hair. Vienna approached her. "Hi, I'm looking for a woman named Laura?"

"That's me!" the woman greeted Vienna with a pleasant smile. "I'm Laura Dahl. You must be Vienna."

Oh, Jane must've mentioned me to her.

"You spoke with my brother on the phone earlier?" she questioned. A flush fell across Vienna's cheeks. Of course he told his sister about her complete meltdown. "He said you seemed absolutely lovely." Vienna snapped back into reality. Did he really think that?

"Oh, that's so nice of him..." Vienna muttered almost to herself. "My friend Jane told me you could help me get settled here. I have to warn you though, I don't have much money."

"That's quite alright." Laura's voice was pleasant, with a slight rasp to it that made her sound wise and enchanting. "I'm not sure what Jane told you about this town, but we love to welcome newcomers. I have some job openings around here or, if you'd like, my brother is opening a bookstore just down the street."

Wow. Vienna felt almost overwhelmed by the kindness of these people. Her hometown in Tennessee only offered this much of a welcome at Church on Sundays. More often than not, she felt like an outsider.

"I know it's a lot to take in..." Laura's voice snapped Vienna back to reality. "So if you'd like some time to decide I'd be happy to let you stay in our guesthouse in the meantime."

"Oh, wow. Thank you so much."

"Of course! My mom taught me to love others really well and I intend on doing just that. We're just about to have dinner as a staff, would you like to join us?"

She couldn't believe the generosity she was witnessing. Jane was definitely right about this place. "I would love to, thank you."

She followed Laura into a room adjacent to the main lobby. The walls paneled in cedar wood and it smelled of cinnamon and honey. On the table sat a feast before her. She sat near Laura, exchanging pleasantries with the staff.

Just before Vienna reached for the glass in front of her, a tall figure stepped through the doorway to the dining room. Vienna noticed mismatched socks peeking out from his jeans just above the pink converse on his feet. The peculiarly beautiful man smiled at one of the staff members seated across the room. His brown curls framed his face, directing Vienna's gaze into his soft, hazel eyes.

He caught her eyes. "Oh hello." He appeared surprised by the addition to the table. "Where are my manners? I'm Matthew Gray Gubler...are you Vienna..I'm sorry I don't know your last name?" He smiled, reaching out his hand to her.

"Vienna Clark, It's good to meet you in person." She shook his hand, biting her lip as she remembered her embarrassing call earlier. "I just want to apologize again for bothering you." She tucked her hand back into her lap, digging her nails into the familiar grooves on her palms.

"Don't you fret! I am perfectly happy to provide consult anytime. I consider it a gift to offer comfort to others." Matthew crossed to the other side of the table, his long legs awkward as he squeezed into his seat.

Vienna's gaze lingered on Matthew's hands clasped on the edge of the table. They were soft but weary, as if they held years of memories within their grasp.

"Shall we?" Laura's voice drew Vienna out of her trance. She nodded and caught Matthew's gaze again. There was something there. Something that she had been looking for these past nine months. And there was no way she was going to miss out on it.