embarking

Vienna shut the trunk of her tiny, green subaru. She glanced back at her home. The roof sank in the middle, the slats along the side of her home mirroring the weariness she felt. She hated this town. She wanted to hate her mother too, but inwardly Vienna hoped she would return to this house one day. She hoped her mother would come around. She doubted it though.

She had to do this. She had to go, before this decrepit town pushed her further down in her own pain and self-pity. She had already lost her father, she couldn't lose herself too.

Her nails dug in her palms, aggravating the wounds she so wished she could let heal. Pressing her hands onto the car, Vienna looked down fighting away tears. She was grieving not only the loss of her father but of the only life she knew. This town was nothing but hell to her and it was time she find somewhere she was truly welcome.

She opened her phone to her recent messages. Jane had sent her the address of a woman she met while backpacking along the West coast. "Her name is Laura. She owns a wonderful inn in Rose. She can help you find your way."  Vienna remembered Jane's words and felt a sense of promise that she hadn't felt in quite some time.

She knew this was where she was meant to go. She opened the GPS on her phone and entered Rose, Oregon. Three days until the rest of her life.