•19•

Pew Pew

I ran into Diego in the top of the stairs

I ran into Diego in the top of the stairs. "What is it?" I asked, knowing something was bothering him.

"You know," he whispered, making sure his siblings couldn't hear from the other room, "having a wife that can read your mind can be annoying sometimes."

"I can't read minds I read memories and emotions."

"Same difference."

"Besides," I looked around before I placed a hand in his shoulder, "you're an open book. With or without powers."

He gave a weak smile before placing his hand over mine. We stood there for a second before he sighed and whispered, "Go ahead."

Nodding, I let myself into Diego's memories. They were all about Grace. I watched as she helped him with his stutter as a kid and as she made him pancakes. Then I watched as he questioned her about Reggie. That memory had far more detail to it than the others. Everything was clear.

"So that's what you ran off to do," I joked pathetically as I dropped my hand. He nodded. "Come on, let's get out of here."

"No, I don't want Luther to do anything to mom," he growled.

"Okay then what do you want to do?" I asked, placing my hands in my pockets.

"I don't know."

"We could head back to your room."

"And do what?" he snarked. Rolling my eyes I glanced around before placing a gentle kiss on his lips.

"Whatever we want," I whispered.

"Mrs. Hargreeves are you suggesting what I think you are?" he smirked as he leaned in to give me another kiss. Before his lips met mine, I held up an Uno deck in front of my mouth. He backed away in horror after he accidentally kissed it.

"Uno!" I announce loudly and he chuckled.

"You're a tease."

I placed a quick kiss on his cheek and made my way toward his room with him reluctantly following behind me. As we reached the hall to his room, Diego was still a good distance behind me. I was about to go to his room when I felt something. I froze, causing Diego to freeze as well. He slowly made his way to me and gave me a questioning nod. I motioned toward the hallway. He grabbed a couple of knives and slowly walked out. I heard the click of guns. Diego threw his knives behind him as he ran down the hall, avoiding gunfire. I heard the clang of metal against metal and the guns kept firing.

I waited behind the corner and I knew Diego was waiting in the other room. When the two assailants made their way down the hallway, the two of us jumped out. I kicked the woman in her side and she stumbled back. I reached to tear the gun out of her hands but she shoved me backwards.