Chapter 3

Cornelius could not say anything. No, rather he didn't want to say anything. As if him breaking this newly made silence might make what he had just heard real. Ben continued to throw stones for exactly three and a half minutes before asking, "Does this surprise you?".

"Should it not?" asked Cornelius, still too shocked to articulate beyond a few words.

"This planet is dying Cornelius. If it remains the way it is it will rot from the inside out." Ben, upon running out of stones on the floor, began to pull the ones he had previously thrown back from the other side of the lake before throwing them again. "Better to put it out of its misery wouldn't you agree?"

Cornelius, now regaining his composure with a shake of his head began to plead. "Surely you could fix the problems that are present here!"

"Yes I could."

"Then why won't you!?"

"Cornelius, let's say you have a fence. It is as white as snow, and as sturdy as it could be. You have a number of replacement posts as well as a repair kit. One day, one of the posts gets infested with termites. Those termites then decide to blow each other up, to the point of extinction, destroying that post to the point of no return." Ben turned towards Cornelius and got closer, "Would you spend those resources which could be used to repair more manageable damages down the road, or would you get rid of it and replace it with a fresh one?"

"I..." Cornelius could not muster the courage to retort. He understood the fact that what has happened to the earth and the billions of people that previously lived on it with him, was entirely on the human race. "I understand that what happened here was the human race's doing, that much is true."

"It is." responded Ben wiping his hands of dirt.

"But are you telling me it is better to murder whoever is left? Those who have done nothing but survive what those, who were selected to protect them, have put them through? I may be just a man, but by Gods, or by you, or by decency itself, I know injustice when I see it and it is here!" shouted Cornelius' legs trembling partly from anger, wholly from terror at challenging the universe that had just promised to destroy an entire planet with all the tepidness of a child agreeing to wash dishes..

Ben began to set off along the path again back turned to Cornelius, feet hovering above the ground. Cornelius was hesitant to give chase, but resolved to do so anyway. "Well?...do you have anything to say?"

"About what?" Ben responded flatly before Cornelius could remember that he was scared of what Ben may say about the subject. "Um..about what I just said.." Cornelius clarified.

They continued to make their way around the large swimming pool. Ben did not say anything for a while. Cornelius trailed behind him making observations about Ben's behavior, in hopes that he could detect a clue as to what was going on in that blue flame of his. Perhaps I had made some good sense he thought to himself optimistically, If there is anyone else listening PLEASE let me know that I had made some good sense

"You are quite the orator young Cornelius." Responded the floating wisp, "I do apologize for eavesdropping," he said as if he was aware of the frown which Cornelius was now sporting, "a force of habit I am afraid."

Cornelius continued to trail behind him, though he would walk along this path almost every day, he just noticed that the pace at which they were taking was faster than what his 30 something year-old body was used to (Though time is absolute he is very much still liable to forget it.). "Well then," he panted, "Did I make good sense?"

"As good of sense as could be expected," replied Ben plucking a canteen from the air before floating it over to the clearly thirsting Cornelius without looking back. "By your unique code of justice, it would indeed be wrong to punish people for something their leaders did without consulting them first. There are just two factors which prevent that from being the case here." The pair stopped to allow Cornelius a moment to indulge in the almost sweet water, now flowing from the canteen down his previously dry esophagus.

After a few gulps, he set it down noting that its weight did not feel different, though he was positive he drank nearly half of it. He set the thought aside however when Ben turned towards him without a word. Cornelius felt confident enough to guess that Ben was waiting for a question. "What are those then?" he asked, taking a spot on the ground to rest.

"The first being what will be done is not a punishment. You may even be inclined to call it a mercy." he said, remaining as placid as the water beside them, "There is no pain, no great explosion, no fuss. Just a quick end to a planet slowly rotting."

Cornelius could not argue with that. He was well aware of the fact that there is no hope for restoration by natural means. His food supply, though plentiful for the time being, would inevitably run out, and with no resources for him to take advantage of nearby, he would undoubtedly starve. Then he thought of those in less favorable situations compared to his own. He had a mansion, fully stocked with enough provisions for hundreds of people, those who were not so lucky may have run out long ago. He felt guilty.

"I can see that you do not disagree." Said Ben, still floating but now cross legged with hands over what Cornelius presumed to be knees. "I suppose not, but I have a question." Stated Cornelius staring earnestly at Ben. Ben made a gesture, extending his arm palm facing skyward, which Cornelius interpreted as go ahead.

"How much time does this planet have before it... dies?" he asked leaning forward. The shapes which have largely remained fixed inside Ben's flame shifted themselves around before arriving at the place they were previously anchored at, "5 and a half earth years." he said in a calm tone.

"Then I propose this," Cornelius started, "Take all of my provisions from my home over there," He said pointing, while simultaneously noticing that they have traversed nearly the entirety of the swimming pool, having only perhaps eight kilometres to go. He did not stutter however as he continued, "Take them and send them to everyone who's left on this planet. There should be enough there to last at the very least six years...let them live comfortably so when the planet does die...they can die on full stomachs and without fear." Cornelius found the vigor to rise to his feet, "After we are all gone, then feel free to clear the wreckage and start fresh. Just let them live a little longer. Let them...be just a little longer" he finally finished.

There was silence. Cornelius looked down at the dirt while standing, and Ben looked up at Cornelius still floating, the flame of his head barely flickering. Ben uncrossed his legs, and stood straight, the center of his body remaining where it was, and his feet still resting above the ground. "I cannot do that." Said Ben in the now familiar tone of indifference. He turned to move along the path when a hand passed through his left arm. He turned to face Cornelius who had tears in his eyes, "Why not." he said flatly certain that no matter the answer it would not change his mind about Ben. "Well that will bring us to the second factor" replied Ben.

Ben was an unjust God, a heartless being which served only to sit back and watch as everything crumbled. All that power, yet powerless to do anything of use, except get rid of trash. A celestial garbage disposal, he thought. However he was wrong.

Upon hearing those words, his tears stopped flowing. The expression of rage melted away from his face, his fists uncurled, leaving only two hands at the mercy of gravity as they rested by his sides. He turned from Ben and walked towards the water and looked down at his reflection. He observed his surroundings and smirked. He wasn't certain at first because of the way the water now looked, but he was sure of it now. This was where he found his pretty flower the day before. "Cornelius..." started Ben, but his words were falling on deaf ears. Cornelius stared at the water trying to visualize where that perfectly beautiful flower once rested. However his efforts failed. When he stared at his reflection's eyes, he was able to hear those words clearly. "Cornelius," his eyes spoke in a perfect recreation of Ben's voice, "You are the last human on this planet."