Chapter four- RIP Cass.

Katelyn clambered out of the car and tried to steady herself as her legs tried to give way. The numb feeling she felt inside was something she had never experienced before. The images of Cassian's death replayed over and over on a loop, as bile rose into her throat and her mouth began to water, she squatted to the ground and vomited until she had nothing left to give. Slumping back on the car she took in deep breaths as her head pounded and her throat burned.
Looking around, she had reached a familiar neighbourhood, she knew she wasn't too far away from her brothers house.
She sobbed and silently begged for it all to stop. For the first time in years, Katelyn Valentine was well and truly vulnerable, and the wall she had built to protect herself was now crumbling down.
Okay, okay, let's figure this out. Where shall I go?
To Kyles.
I'll go to Kyles house and he will know what to do.
Oh god, Cass is dead! He's fucking dead!
Calm down, think rationally. Breathe...
His head was smashed to pieces...
Get up...
I'm going to be sick again...
get the fuck up!
I've wet myself...
Katelyn stood up and wiped her face. Her hair had become a tangled mess and her uniform had vomit down it. She didn't even care that she was such a state. No one was around to see it. She was completely alone.
Some detective you are... she cursed to herself.
***
Kyle Valentine had just closed his eyes when he heard his sister hammering on the door to his four bedroom house in Park Drive, that he shared with his wife Audrey and eight year old daughter, Kova. He groaned and climbed back out of bed, glancing at the clock it showed it was four-thirty in the morning.
With Audrey and Kova away at the in-laws , he had the house to himself for once. So he had spent all night listening to classical FM and sipping whisky.
Katelyn burst through the door and collapsed to the floor, as Kyle tried to make sense of the rambling coming from his sibling. At first he thought she was drunk, then he thought maybe she had been attacked. Katelyn finally managed to explain the nights events and Kyle called the police. He fetched his sister a cold pint of water and began to run her a bath.
Kyle had always taken care of her, they really only had each other.
Kyle was a couple of years away from turning forty, and being four years older than Katelyn meant he felt responsible for her. He had built a successful career as an orthodontist and had his own private clinic in Kensington, many of his clients were known celebrities and his annual income meant he could afford the gorgeous house he now owned. With two bathrooms, a huge dining room and a kitchen you only see in magazines, it was the home of dreams. And he had earned every bit of it.
"I've run you a bath, there are clean clothes in there. And I'll set up the spare room." Kyle soothed as he stroked Katelyns hair. She sobbed at the kindness her brother showed, and feeling disgusted that he was having to see her in this state.
She was exhausted. But she did as she was told and sank into the bath, washing away the mud, vomit and urine. She allowed the guilt to consume her as she thought of Cass and his gorgeous green eyes, and his little chuckle he often did. She remembered the way he looked at her, and the way her tummy fluttered when he winked. She remembered all the nice things he done for her and how he even held doors open, how he always paid the bill at lunch and how he always put her first.
I should have told you what you meant to me she thought, as tears of regret fell into the bath tub.
And now he was gone.
                                 ***