Chapter twenty- Ashes to ashes.

Katelyn woke from another nightmare, sweat running down her forehead as she glanced over to the small bundle beside her.
Ruby slept innocently in a faded cream baby grow that once belonged to Katelyn, along with a knitted pale pink blanket and little white scratch mittens. Katelyn's mother had bought over a few supplies that they had stored in the attic. She had cried when she saw Ruby, before showing Katelyn how to nurse the newborn.
Ruby hadn't taken well to the breast. And Katelyn wondered if it was blood she wanted rather than milk. She hadn't cried yet either, she just made sniffly noises and stared a lot. She was quite alert for a newborn, and her amber eyes swirled like little pools of gold.
Katelyn sat up gently on the bed. She was in Selena's bedroom, and the sun had begun to set which cast a bright glow directly into the bedroom. The town was eerily quiet and it made her feel nervous. Rubbing the back of her neck, she stretched her back until two cracking noises relieved pressure in her spine.
Standing up, she felt abnormal without the bump that she had been carrying around for the past couple of weeks.
Walking over towards the other side of the bed, she gently picked up the baby and began to rock her. Smiling proudly, Her eyes welled with tears and she let them fall one by one.
How am I a mum now? She thought.
She stood by the window and glanced over towards the forest. The trees swayed gently as the orange sun had almost set and darkness crept over. Her eyes surveyed the neighbourhood. The rooftop to her parents house, the lake in the forest and the circular pathway that had a row of abandoned houses. She had no idea what the situation was outside of the street, and it was nice that way. Despite the devastation of hundreds dying, vampires ripping apart the country and no government to turn to, it was peaceful and safe where she was. And her baby was safe, that was the main thing.
Everyone she loved and cared for was safe on this small little road, and she had accepted that there was nothing she could do about everyone else.
To the left of the forest just underneath a large oak tree, something had caught her eye. She couldn't make it out, but something was moving around. Squinting for a closer look the shadow stepped forward and Katelyn froze.
She noticed the black boots first.
Then the dusty black jeans, followed by the single razor sharp finger nail scraping against the trees bark.
Her heart felt like it was in her mouth and she tightened her grip on Ruby. Chest beating louder, her hands become clammy and her knees buckled slightly.
Staring directly at her, was Roman Black, surrounded by a large group of vampires. Romans associate,who Katelyn called Leather-coat, was standing next to Roman. His sinister glare made Katelyn's blood run cold. The same glare he gave after killing Cass just a few months ago.
Cassian's sweet smile flashed into her mind, his kind eyes and his gorgeous long hair.
She wondered what he would do, in this exact situation.
There was probably about seventy to a hundred Vampires and they were all staring up at the window. Roman had a twisted look about him, his eyes fixated on Katelyn and his mouth snarled like a rabid dog.
Katelyn turned to run, wincing in pain from just giving birth. Blood leaked from her underwear and the uncomfortable ache in her lower stomach made her double over. Clutching Ruby, she forced herself to stand up straight, ignoring the burning sensation in her pelvis.
Do this for her. Survive for her... she muttered through clenched teeth.
Legs shaking, she barely made it down the stairs. She wanted to scream and run, but her body was failing her. It was like she was in one of her dreams, unable to run properly and moving in slow motion.
For a second she wondered if it was all real.
Just a few months ago, life was simple and predictable. Now it was chaotic and a fight for survival.
Opening her mouth to speak, no words came out. Her brain and her mouth were not connecting and she just stood with her mouth gaped open.
The group of friends had been down stairs, organising a plan of action. A pile of baby stuff sat in the corner in black sacks, waiting for Katelyn to salvage through.

"What's up with you? Seen a ghost?" Laughed Theo, as Thalia nudged him before standing up and heading towards Katelyn.
"Hey. You okay?" She whispered, and stroked the baby's head.
Katelyn gulped and shook her head.
"They're outside. In the forest. Roman and his gang." She finally mustered.
The group stood up instantly and ran towards the windows, bolting the door and turning off the torches. A selection of homemade weapons surrounded the floor. Katelyn bent down and picked up a stake, and placed it down her back pocket.
Looking over towards her parents house, she spotted Kyle peeking through the gap between the planks of wood. He spotted her too, and the pair exchanged a look of concern. She ached that she couldn't be with them, to protect little Kova-May and be with her parents. But she was thankful that Kyle had spotted the same situation, and he knew that they would know what to do.
The group stood silently as footsteps could be heard getting closer and closer, until right outside the front door. They stopped.
"Knock knock!" Roman teased.
Katelyn's adrenaline kicked in as she stood frozen to the spot. She looked around and saw all the weapons, planning in her head where she would put Ruby down and how she would kill Roman.
"Miss Valentine. Are you in there?" He continued.
Selena had her hands gripped round a metal baseball bat, looking over to her friends and back against the wall.
"Is that a baby I smell in there? I believe that's mine." He growled.
Selena shook her head as Katelyn backed away from the living room, knocking over a tray of glasses that smashed to the floor.
Within seconds, Roman began hammering on the front door, footsteps were heard on the roof and there were scratches down the kitchen window.
They were surrounded.
"Open the fucking door!" He bellowed, furiously.
"Go away!" Katelyn screamed.
Rambling through the baby things she found a sling, adjusting the straps she placed a sleeping Ruby inside and tightened it around her waist. She slipped on her trainers and grabbed a rucksack, placing clothes and other supplies inside.
"What are you doing?" Selena said, and grabbed the bag off Katelyn.
"We can't stay here, he'll kill us!"
"He can't come in without an invite. None of them can. We just have to wait it out until sunlight and then we can go." Axel piped up.
Katelyn knew they were right, but every instinct was telling her to run.
The house fell silent once again, and it seemed Roman may have given up.
Or so they hoped....

To be continued!!