The Second Task

A/N: changed up a bit

Harry's Point of View

Harry choked down the gillyweed, feeling the slimy green worm-like strands wriggle as they slid down his throat. Next to him, Cedric, Fleur, and Krum dove into the water as the clock began ticking. Harry slowly waded into the water, but swiftly, his neck felt like it had been cut on the sides and his head began to spin from lack of air.

The icy water stabbing his legs like tiny needles numbed as he continued. Was something wrong with the gillyweed? But Harry sank in all the way and his head cleared almost instantly, moving the mental fog.

Harry knew he'd already wasted a few precious minutes, so he used his somehow-webbed hands and flipper-like feet to propel himself downwards, aiming for the deep center of the lake.

The wand clutched in his hands seemed to not work as well in the water as on land, so Harry carefully avoided anything that could be lurking in the seaweed blanketing the bottom. Harry worried that his time would run out, so he swam faster as a few algae-covered buildings came into view.

As he swam between the white and green-marble structures, Harry saw merpeople come out of their dwellings and, holding sharp-looking tridents, watched him warily. When Harry reached the large center of the village, he gasped at the four floating figures, tied to rocks, suspended in the water.

There was a little girl with a halo of white-blond hair, Fleur in miniature. Cho Chang, arms, crossed loosely, and Hermione, wand sticking out of her pocket. The figure on the far right made Harry gasp and butterflies appear in his stomach.

Draco Malfoy hung in the water, face twisted into a scowl, hair messy in a way Harry knew he'd never want anyone to see. Harry thought back to Dobby's words earlier that day: "Harry Potter must take this, sir, it is gillyweed! It will help Harry Potter breathe underwater, sir! Sir must rescue Master, Harry Potter, sir!"

Harry swam up to Draco and untied the rope around his legs, letting him drift. He moved to Hermione and began to do the same.

Cedric arrived and took Cho, mouthing, "GO! There's only a few minutes left! Krum'll be here soon!" He shot to the surface and Harry finished Hermione and, fingertips raw, began to hack at mini-Fleur's rope with a jagged rock.

A mutant shark-headed thing in Krum's uniform came and grabbed Hermione, taking her to the surface. Where was Fleur?

Harry grabbed Draco's hand worriedly, deciding to wait another minute before taking both the girl and Draco up.

Subconsciously, Harry squeezed Draco's hand, counting the seconds. He reached sixty, took one last, sweeping look for Fleur, then took both the girl and Draco in his arms, pointed his wand at the ground, and muttered, "Ascendio!"

It was muffled, but still the three shot upwards, bursting from the surface. Harry was happy to see that both seemed to have woken up and were swimming for shore.

The next moments passed in a blur, someone wrapping Harry and Draco in the same blanket in the rush. Skeeter was banned and everyone started to clear out, leaving the two dripping boys out of earshot.

"Why was I your... you know," Draco said uneasily. "The person you'd miss most."

Harry shifted uncomfortably. "I... ah... just think that you are a... special person. I want to... get to know you a bit more."

"Ah," Draco said, a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "What part of me do you want to get to know first?"

Harry's heart seemed to stop. The ball in his throat prevented him from choking out anything embarrassing, and Harry was silently grateful.

But Draco's gaze hadn't moved. Harry traced it with is eyes and found himself cross-eyed.

"I'd rather like to find out what you taste like, Potter."

Harry closed his eyes and let Draco's lips meet his own. The blanket shielded them from view and Harry let himself enjoy it.

Their hands were still clasped.