Halloween Scare

31 October 1981

Harry and Draco giggled as James blew multicolored bubbles out of his wand towards them on Halloween. Both one year old, they were already best friends and did everything together.

James and Lily (I hate them together [James x Regulus! Lily x Marlene!] but whatever) had decided not to let them eat any candy -- best not to get the kids high before even dinner! But somehow, they were still bouncing off the walls with energy. Harry leapt on his toy broomstick and zoomed all throughout the house, chasing the bubbles.

Of course, Draco and Harry had no idea that they were in hiding, but they were still having fun. Harry noticed Draco looked a bit left-out, and kindly offered Draco the broomstick. Draco refused to get on alone, and stubbornly tugged Harry on with him.

Harry giggled and let Draco clutch him from the back as they flew, perhaps a little more precariously and lower to the ground than normal, but overall, the two were having so much fun. They were giggling, chasing yet more bubbles, and flying just barely through Lily's legs, laughing at her surprised face.

Their happiness radiated out and filled the whole house with euphoria, fearlessness, unflappability. James even went so far as to put his wand on the kitchen counter and blindfold himself, stumbling blindly from room to room, feeling and listening for two giggling boys on a toy broomstick.

They sat down for dinner, the jacket potatoes steamy and the sour cream perfectly cool.

Everyone was so engrossed in their delicious food that they didn't notice the dark, hooded figure at the gate, then the front walk, then the door.

The door clicked open.

James looked up.

His face turned white, and he stood up so quickly he knocked over his chair. "It's him, Lily! Take Harry and Draco and go! I'll hold him off!"

Lily gathered up Harry and Draco and ran quickly up the stairs and barricaded herself in Harry's room, pushing the dresser against the closed door, pretending not to hear the dull thump of a lifeless body on the floor.

Voldemort blasted open the door with a wordless incantation, laughing at Lily's futile attempts to protect herself and the children. A high, ruthless voice echoed throughout the suddenly cold room. "Stand aside, little girl."

Lily screamed, "Not them! Not them! Take me instead!"

Shielding them with her body, she felt them move into a tight embrace.

With a flash of green light, she fell like a marionette with cut strings.

The boys just hugged tightly, eyes clenched closed, foreheads pressed together, as the hooded figure advanced.

Another flash of green light, and the hooded figure crumpled.

The boys were found, hours later, by a tall, bearded man with half-moon spectacles, still in their tight embrace.

Epilogue

Harry turned around.

Draco was on one knee.

Harry nodded and kissed him, crying of joy.