𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒: 𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4.

❞𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓❞

The seagulls come in a flash of silver, creating a rather chaotic quay amongst the laced-top waves of the shore. Their cry makes their inverted arcs, tenacious, as they wheeled overhead. The beat of their wings creates a rhythmic tune amongst the skies, conjuring dark spells in their eyes as most voyagers lay deceased amongst the silver sands. At that blessed moment, Celeste felt the souls of the wave's aquatic heartbeat, bringing her to her consciousness.

She felt her back being dragged against the gritty remnants of the sand by one arm.

"Didn't bargain for no storm. Afeared that means a tiny jump in my fee." one man spoke in Celeste's native tongue, one that she was able to absorb in comprehension. She kept her eyes closed, peering through the smallest crack she created with her eyelids.

Large rocks occupied the shore, while Mereen's tranquil, aquamarine waters caressed its tainted sands. Stained with the remains of those who didn't survive the storm's wrath. Fragmented crates and broken remains of the ship were dispersed across the vast shoreline.

"It's no simple fee, lad. We lost sixteen of our best, all for simple blackmail and trade. The Lord of the Great Tides reward will be generous for her fair head." the second man scowled. A pit formed in the depths of her stomach, to imagine her head being delivered to her father.

"B-brandon--" Jade's silk-like voice cracked. Celeste watched as Jade sat with her knees folded beneath her, her head tilted forward, and her arms tightly cradled her brother in her arms. Jade's face scrunched, exhibiting the unbearable pain of losing her brother.

A fresh wave of guilt pounding within her breast sent shivers down Celeste's spine. Celeste's throat tightened with each small wail of agony that slipped from Jade's lips. A tainted-copper colour stained the front of Brandon's tunic. Lifelessly, his back was arched in a crooked position.

"Jiōragon té!" the smuggler hollered, forcing her up.

He grasped onto her forearm with an insufferable grip, making her scream loud enough to break Celeste's eardrums. A cloud of fury swirled within her breast, she could feel her insides quake at the sound of Jade's resistance.

"What about the prisoner?" the smuggler that dragged Celeste questioned his leadership, pointing to the Smuggler inflicting harm on Jade.

"Before the Master, we must bring her. On doing so, my honour relies." the second man expressed proudly. Her mind refrained from the questionable meaning that kept her pondering; did the smuggler refer to herself or Jade?