Chapter 4

The Eldest was surprisingly spry for her age, moving at a brisk clip over the seaweed field. They moved out of the carefully ordered area cultivated by the shoal. Neat rows of seaweed quickly disappeared to make room for small, scruffy plants and algae covered rocks. They were still in the shoal's territory, but it was clear that the Eldest was hoping for some privacy.

The Eldest had never paid much attention to Honor before. Out of necessity, the leader of an entire shoal doesn’t have time for much individual attention, especially for someone young and insignificant. The whole encounter made Honor nervous, and she kept glancing at the Eldest to search for some hint of what was happening. However, her face remained placid.

She was always smooth and calm, Honor reflected as she watched her companion’s confident movements. That’s why the oldest member of the shoal led. They had the most knowledge and experience, so they knew when worry was necessary and when it was wasteful.

Every stroke of their fins made Honor more jittery. Would it be rude to start the conversation? Maybe it would be best to wait for the Eldest to speak.

I’m told that you visited Coral the other day, the Eldest began slowly. Honor nodded her fist in affirmation. What did the Eldest care about a routine delivery for her mother?

A shoal of glimmering silver fish, tiny but good for snacking, appeared in the distance. Honor forced herself to look back at the Eldest and ignore the distraction. Surely she didn’t want to just chat about this. Her mother could have checked to make sure she was all right after her visit. It wasn’t something that warranted the Eldest’s attention.

So you know that she…has moments, the Eldest finished after a pause. She said that she scared you.

Yes, but I don’t think she meant to, Honor was growing tired of this refrain. Idly, she picked a piece of soft coral, a bright spot in an otherwise uninteresting landscape, and watched as the spidery filaments swayed delicately in the gentle current. Maybe she would take it back to Shimmer, as an apology for excluding her earlier.

You’re right, she didn’t, the Eldest replied to Honor’s surprise. Until that moment no one seemed to believe her. Sometimes, when a person had been traumatized, their mind can’t handle it. She does her best, and she is invaluable to the shoal.

Of course, Honor really had no other response other than to twirl the coral and watch the orange tendrils twist and bend. So she is sick, then? In her head?

Yes. She didn’t use to be this way. The Eldest paused for a moment, as though she were distracted by something, though Honor couldn’t tell what.

She’s supposed to be the Eldest, isn’t she? Honor wanted clarification on this point. There must be contingencies in case someone couldn’t serve as the Eldest for whatever reason. The Eldest snapped out of her reverie, and gave a disapproving frown at Honor’s fidgeting with the coral.

I’m actually a season older than her, the Eldest replied primly. When our lives have been hard our bodies show it.

Honor thought about twisting the coral into her string of seashells, but instead dropped it and let the bloom drift to the ocean floor. It was rude to fidget so badly in front of the Eldest, and embarrassing to be reprimanded on something like that at her age, even if not directly stated.

I was wondering if you might want to learn from her. She had all of Honor’s attention now. I’ve been trying for a long time to get her to teach someone.  No one else in the shoal is trained anymore, and we need the medicines she provides. What if something happened to her? Coral said you seemed interested, and when I asked if she would train you she said yes.

Out of all the scenarios in Honor’s mind, this one had never come up. Why me?

I didn’t ask, the Eldest responded. Honor desperately wanted to ask if she could hazard a guess, but thought better of it.

So I would learn how to take care of the animals? Her thought began to dance around the cave and the fish-eating, plant-like animal she had seen. She still had no signs for them.

And how to get medicine from them, and how to care for some plants for the same purpose. I will also want you to take on any interaction that may be called upon as soon as possible. Right now, Coral usually refuses to see patients. That’s probably best for everyone, but it still isn’t ideal. Worry briefly crossed her face.

Honor didn’t know what to think. The shoal would need Coral’s skills, and she couldn’t last much longer. Still, uncertainty twisted in her gut.

Would I have to live in the cave, too? Honor felt supremely childish, but the fear was nagging at her.

No, the Eldest gave a slight click of mirth. You can maintain your place in the shoal. The cave is necessary for those creatures that prefer the dark, but you certainly don’t have to live there.

Who taught Coral? Where is she? Honor desperately searched for a way out of this obligation. If only there was someone else.

Her mother. She died while Coral was away. The Eldest ran a hand over her smooth head, causing her pearl bracelet to catch the light. Her brother and another girl studied as well. Their mother died of old age. You've heard of the plague, haven't you? Not long before you were born.

Honor shook her fist in affirmation again. That was why there weren't too many young adults in the shoal. The plague had hit the very young and very old the hardest, so many of those fry had died.

They exhausted themselves taking care of everyone, then fell sick themselves. Her brother died, while her sister recovered but was seriously weakened. She didn't last very long after that.

Honor knew that Coral’s family and friends had mostly died while she was on the surface, but had never known the details.

I should warn you, Coral will have her moments, the Eldest said. I won’t lie, I’m hoping that having someone to help will make them happen less often. There is a lot to learn, and it won’t be easy.

It would be a prestigious position in the shoal, and Honor could envision herself as an adult, known and respected by everyone. Her imagination ran wild with images of herself nobly ministering to the ill. She could even have her own group of young apprentices. It would certainly be more interesting than tending the seaweed fields.

Getting to that position would be troublesome, however. It would mean long hours alone with Coral in that cave filled with memories. Just thinking about it made Honor feel as though the rock walls were closing in on her.

Can I think about it? Honor fumbled under the Eldest’s gaze. She had to put it out there quickly before she lost her nerve.

Of course, the Eldest. Seeming to sense how Honor was feeling, she added, That’s the prudent thing to do. You’re a sensible girl.

Thank you for thinking of me, Honor added quickly. Despite the Eldest’s assurance, she didn’t want to seem ungrateful for the chance.

Come, I’ll swim with you back to Bravery and your Traveller friend, she gave Honor a mischevious and started back in the direction of the seaweed fields, leaving Honor wide-eyed in embarrased surprise. Burying down between the rocks and into the sand started to seem very appealing. The Eldest really did know about everything that happened in the shoal.

****************

I hope you're enjoying the story. Please vote and comment. I love feedback!