Chapter 11

It was a blindly desperate scheme. They would swim to the coast, Coral would work the spell, and Honor would be able to start making her way on land. The details got fuzzy after that. Honor would have to improvise on her own.

Coral did her best to help, but her interaction with humans was limited. She lived in a small tank and people rarely spoke to her. Honor had little time for Coral to explain everything she knew from her time observing humans, and even she had large gaps in her knowledge. The humans never included her, and it had taken years for her to even learn to understand their language.

Our memories live in our hearts, which is the living center of our blood. All our spirits are connected. We can use that connection to pass thoughts, memories, feelings. They were measuring out medicine for the people who were still nursing injuries from the humans' raid as they talked. Coral preferred to keep her hands busy. Honor thought it was a pain to put down the herbs she was preparing, reply to Coral, and pick them up again. She suspected that it helped keep the older woman's mind occupied, so she said nothing.

So you think memories can live in our blood, too? Honor shivered a little, despite the temperate water. The thought made her remember cutting her hand, and the blood tainting the water ever so slightly red. The idea of her memories slipping out as easily as her blood, free for anyone to touch and take made her nervous.

It's possible, Coral only shrugged. They had been spending a lot of time together the last couple of days, and Honor had spread the rumor she was undergoing intense study since the injured supplied a rare opportunity to hone her skills. It was only a small lie, she reasoned.

I have everything I need. Coral used one of her abrupt segues, which made Honor feel as though someone had grabbed her wrist and jerked her suddenly from the side. I suggest that you wrap up your affairs since I want to leave tomorrow when the tides shift. She turned to indicate that Honor was dismissed. It was an annoying habit, but Honor didn't have it in her to be irritated with her today.

Honor's affairs were pitifully few, all things considered. No one but Coral, Free, and Bravery knew she was leaving, and Honor already felt that was too many. A tiny needle of disappointment pierced her heart whenever she thought about Free, but it couldn't be helped. They would have both eventually picked mates from their own shoals anyway, but she had always imagined that their flirtation would end more amicably. She could find closure with her best friend though.

Bravery braced his back on a rock outside Coral's cave. Coral hadn't wanted him moved any more than necessary, but she also wasn't willing to suffer through his running commentary. This was the compromise. Honor had surrounded him by some of his things, including one of the carved knives he was perpetually chipping away at.

Without a word, she drew a chart of sixteen squares in the sand, each with a pictogram representing a fortune. The game was a simple one they hadn't played since they were small. Roll the dice, count out the squares, then cross it out. Eventually, the possible fortunes would be eliminated until one was left, which would be their future. As fry they had spent hours teasing and arguing over the squares' content. Honor always wanted a future where she was the Eldest. Bravery always wanted to curse her with boils or to die alone.

Are you ready? Bravery tossed the dice and counted out the spaces. He crossed out the square for a beautiful mate. Honor clicked and picked up the dice for her turn.

This isn't something you can prepare for, is it? Her dice landed on a three. She crossed out the square and handed the dice back to Bravery.

We'll try to bring you back. After you find Shimmer and the others. He studied the stone dice, twisting it in his hand and feeling the notches. I bet Coral knows how. Bringing you back to your natural form must be easier than turning you into something entirely new.

Why wouldn't she tell us that? The scatterings of a lifetime she would never have sat before her. There were only a dozen possibilities here, but she had so many more.

I think it must be something bad, his signs were slow and soft.

Find out, if you can. Not that it changes anything, she added quickly. I'm going no matter what.

But it would be nice if you could come back. They stared at the game board for a long time. Neither one seemed to want to narrow down their futures any more. Bravery rubbed the dice between his fingers. Has she told you how she plans to do it?

I saw she had a stack of urchin spines and didn't ask any more questions.

Normally, I would say that was a wise choice, Bravery clicked. Right now, I think you should prepare yourself for what she has planned.

Take care of Coral, okay? Honor signed. Talk to her, even if seems like she doesn't want to. She's weirder when she's entirely alone. And make sure she eats a real meal sometimes. And-

I'll watch out for her, don't worry.

Honor and Bravery had been together since they hatched. There was no before or after Bravery. The two of them never been apart so much as a day. Honor's earliest memories were playing with him in the sand. They had been drawing pictures in the sand and fought when Bravery accidentally brushed away half of Honor's fish.

Their tails stretched out in front of them, almost identical in their silvery scales and translucent fins. Anyone looking at them would know they came from the same people, the same history. Together, the shoal operated as one body. Honor was about to be a severed limb.

Will you be all right? Honor asked.

I have it easy. I just have to sit here and heal, Bravery gestured to his tail.

I still wish I knew everything was fine here.

And I wish I knew you would be okay.

Let's promise we'll meet again. We can go back to the same spot where Coral leaves you. Bravery put his hand on Honor's shoulder. Sea People as a whole rarely touched each other, and the sensation made Honor jolt.

You can't swim that far.

On the sixth full moon from now. That should give me plenty of time to heal up and get my strength back. He flexed his bicep as a joke, but Honor didn't click the way she normally would have.

Honor looked at his face, where most of their differences lay. Blue and green stripes danced across the finer scales of his face. A small scar curled on his temple, a remnant from a hunting accident. His circular black eyes were large and searching. Even though he was staying, his world was still falling apart without Honor and Shimmer.

Of course I'll be there. Six full moons from now, she replied.

He gave a soft flutter of his fingers in acknowledgment. I'll do what I can to bring you back.

And I'll find as many of our shoalmates as I can. Honor picked up the dice and cast them one last time. And I'll do everything I can to bring us all home.

****

This is the last chapter to take place entirely underwater! It's short, but Honor and Bravery needed to have a proper good-bye.

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to @featherpunk and tell you to go read I Know What You're Thinking. It's a mystery about mind readers. What's not to like about that?