if you like ___ you'll like ___ [recommendations]

That's right folks, it's time for some musical recommendations

These are just my opinions on what you might like if you like a certain musical. Be sure to leave your recommendations in the comments.

IF YOU LIKE
Dear Evan Hansen
YOU MIGHT LIKE
Next To Normal
Next to Normal is an award-winning 2008 American rock musical. The story centers on a mother who struggles with worsening bipolar disorder and the effects that managing her illness has on her family. It stars Broadway legends including Alice Ripley and Aaron Tveit. The musical beautifully portrays how mental health can affect a family, with emotional characters and amazing songs.

IF YOU LIKE
Something Rotten!
YOU MIGHT LIKE
[Title of Show]
[title of show] is a 2006 musical about four friends writing a musical about four friends writing a musical about four friends writing a musical. The meta-ness of the show combined with the catchy and funny songs reminds me a lot of Something Rotten! It also stars Heidi Blickenstaff from Something Rotten! who sings a great duet with Susan Blackwell.

IF YOU LIKE
Newsies
YOU MIGHT LIKE
Catch Me If You Can
Based on the Leonardo DiCaprio movie which is based on the true life story of Frank Abagnale Jr. The musical starts in the 1960's with Frank being arrested in an airport where he asks the police if he can tell the story of his crimes.
As a child, Frank ran away from his divorcing parents and learned to create fake checks. He cons his way into millions of dollars in a bluesy, jazz-style musical starring Aaron Tveit and Kerry Butler.

IF YOU LIKE
The Book Of Mormon
YOU MIGHT LIKE
Twisted: The Untold Story Of A Royal Vizir
If funny, raunchy musicals are your thing, I can not recommend Twisted enough. It tells the story of Jafar (from the movie Aladdin) but in a tale where he's the good guy, Jasmine is a naive teenager and Aladdin is a dick who wants to get in her pants. Catchy songs, pop culture references and enough euphemisms to fill an episode of Family Guy makes this show an absolute joy.
[The show is filmed professionally on YouTube and free to watch]

IF YOU LIKE
Next To Normal
YOU MIGHT LIKE
Bare: A Pop Opera
Do you like crying? Then Bare is the show for you. Bare: A Pop Opera tells the story of Jason and Peter, two boys in love while going to a Christian school. I watched this show a week before I came out and cried ridiculously. It's heart wrenching, the main characters have fantastic chemistry and the songs will be stuck in your head for weeks.
[The show is also available on YouTube. Keep an eye out for the LA cast recording]

IF YOU LIKE
A Very Potter Musical
YOU MIGHT LIKE
Ya Like Jazz? A Bee Musical
This parody musical reminds me of AVPM I'm so many ways from filming style, production style and the masterful silliness of the show. The show is hilarious and full of musical theatre references. It is a musical version of the Bee Movie and it's exactly what you're expecting and more.
[Its all on YouTube!]

IF YOU LIKE
Falsettos
YOU MIGHT LIKE
Fun Home
If you're a fan of too-realistic, emotional musicals that tug on your heartstrings, Fun Home is the show for you.
The 2014 award winning musical tells the true story of lesbian cartoonist Alison Bechdel and her father who died of suicide. The musical tells the story from three points of view; her as a child, her as a young adult and her now.
(I have a good quality bootleg for it if anyone would like it)

★ ★ ★
this week's poll:

modern musicals

OR

classic musicals?

published : 01.09.20