★ october's musical of the month ★

"I'd make them sorry forever for teasing Carrie, Carrie, Carrie!"

❤︎

"Am I a mess? Yes! Totally insane! If I am not missed, I don't exist, that's the greatest sin!"

CARRIE is a 2013 musical revival based on the movie based on the Stephen King novel by the same name.
Carrie tells the story of Carrie White (Molly Ronson), a social outcast who is bullied by her classmates and controlled by her very religious mother (Marin Mazzie).

After a particularly awful bullying experience, Carrie is punished by her mother by being locked in a basement. This is where she discovers her powers of telekinesis- an ability that her mother believes to be satanic.

Meanwhile, the school's mean girl Chris (Jeanna de Waal) plots her next plot against Carrie, as the school's sweet girl Sue (Christy Altomore) thinks of a way to make Carrie feel better.

Their plans and the story come to a thrilling climax at the schools senior prom, which is a night they truly will never forget.

THE REASON I CHOSE CARRIE is the musical is perfect for the spooky season. The songs have a certain charm to them (despite them being butchered by Riverdale) and the characters are fun and a joy to watch.

IS IT AVAILABLE TO WATCH?:
Bootlegs are easily available on YouTube (check the bootleg chapter for links).

HOW ABOUT THE SOUNDTRACK?:
Available to stream on Spotify. The plot is pretty easy to follow if you just listen to the soundtrack (especially if you're familiar with the story already).

❤︎

AND NOW, CARRIE'S ACTOR OF THE MONTH GOES TO:

JEANNA DE WAAL as Chris Hargensen

"There's something that Carrie White'll just have to learn
If she plays with fire, she's gonna get burned!"

❤︎

"My daddy taught me who's on top and who's below"

JEANNA DE WAAL studied acting at The Liverpool Institute is Performing Arts, graduating in 2009. She started her acting career as Heather in American Idiot (2010), going on to play Chris in Carrie (off-broadway) (2012) and Lauren in Kinky Boots (2013).

Other notable credits include:
• Dawn in the A.R.T production of Waitress
• Mary Barrie in the A.R.T production of Finding Neverland
• Glinda in the national tour of Wicked
• Janet in The Old Globe production of Rocky Horror Picture Show

She is going to star as Princess Diana in Diana on Broadway in 2021 (which will be filmed for Netflix release).

THE REASON I CHOSE HER as Actor of the Month is that she perfectly nails the villain character of Chris. It's easy to go over-the-top and borderline ridiculous when playing an antagonist; but Jeanna perfectly portrays Chris as the bitter, self righteous girl with a superiority complex that she is. She's a villain that you love to hate and I could watch her perform all day.
And that's without even mentioning her singing. Her powerful voice is mesmerising and works perfectly with the belt-y power songs that her character sings. Her vibrato gives me chills every single time.

SIGNATURE SONG:
World According To Chris

WOULD I SIMP?:
Everyday of the week

★ ★ ★
leave requests for next months MOTM!