Chapter 3

(AT KAREN'S HOUSE THINGS WERE DIFFERENT)

"Hey Ma, have you seen my blue shirt?"

"What you think I am, some kind of maid that keeps track of your draws all the time, said Karen's Ma."

"I only asked because you borrowed it a few days ago, said Karen."

"Oh, so you have a problem with me borrowing your clothes?

Who bought you those damn clothes? I put those clothes on your back. I pay all the bills around here. I can borrow anything I want, said Karen's Ma."

"I didn't say you couldn't. All I asked was if you knew where it was so I could wear it today."

"Don't get smart with me heffa. Go look in my closet. I don't know.

Karen and I are close and because of this I kinda figured out why her and her Mom are always battling. The problem with Karen and her Mom was that Karen's Mom gave birth to her at an early age. She was twelve when she got pregnant with Karen. This was the result of being molested and raped by two brothers that lived next door. It's a shame how some older men don't think twice about manipulating the minds of young girls just to get between their legs. At that tender young age, all a young girl is looking for is some validation that she is beautiful and loved. They just want to be told that they are just as talented as the rest of the young girls at that age. When a young girl hears this kind of talk being said to her by a male, her attention naturally turns to his direction. This is when her innocents can be betrayed and manipulated. She thinks she is in love and her defenses disappear. Like I said, at twelve years of age Karen's Mom gave birth to her. The brothers that changed her life did a little time but not for what they did to Karen's Mom, but for some other shit they were into at the time. She never saw them again. Karen's Mom, in my opinion, never got the chance to grow up like other young girls her age because of the responsibility of raising a child at thirteen. It's as though Karen's Mom resented Karen all her life, and never hesitated to take her resentment out on her daughter.