Destiny || Prologue

1978

Prince

We met for the first time in a record store.

I'd just released "For You" at the time, but still wanted to keep my low-profile until further notice. Back then , folks would leave me alone if I still knew to keep quiet. To be honest, if I needed attention, "First Ave" always brought some noise to me.

She didn't actually work there, though. That day, she walked in like anyone else. It wasn't long before other young ladies trailed, but didn't even follow her at all. This new group must've been another slew of different customers. Employees noticed.

She then browsed the aisles just like me, looking for whatever would groove her own eardrums. While those other girls cornered somewhere else and beamed about The Jacksons, she walked down a few more paces and noticed me standing nearby.

To be honest, I would never forget that smile as soon as her sweet dimples perked up. Despite the harsh fluorescence that situated here, her dark complexion beamed with beauty that I'd only viewed in my dreams. Rocking this white Polyester blouse, she stood in bell bottoms. Dark boots echoed her own footsteps that afternoon.

Large and golden hoop earrings revealed as she side-profiled to look through the album rows. I nearly froze, but still pulled myself together, of course. This young lady actually looked so pretty that it was almost unfair for me to see right then.

"Hi," she said, reaching out to shake my hand. I cleared my throat and joined her own greeting anyway. There was no other choice, especially since most women would have recognized me here and soon lost their natural minds. I wasn't naive.

"Hey," I smiled back, praying that she wouldn't call out my nerves in public. It was one of the few times when a woman actually made me feel shy. I usually hid behind instruments and lowered my voice to keep from flaking. She didn't notice, or at least wouldn't say anything to me that afternoon. I kept my mouth shut, interested.

"Great job on the album. It's really tight." she whispered, glancing around to see if other customers would hear the remark. No one actually started tripping yet, so we continued this conversation anyway. I'd honestly felt so relieved as we just talked.

"Thanks." I welcomed the compliment, quickly wondering if she were a musician too. I could only imagine what happened in her own life, even though we had just met. Girls like her were few and far between then. I knew better than to complain.

"No problem. Best of luck to you." She glanced over her left shoulder and began to leave the record store, but I gently called out for her to notice me again. She slowly turned back around and crossed both arms, facing me with another precious smile.

"Wait, sorry to stop you, but what's your name?" I grinned once more, hoping to find the mystery behind this beauty. She left me curious in just a few minutes. I found myself already thinking of more songs to write, no matter how cliche my feelings seemed to be just now. Even employees paused their duties to watch us.

"Nikki." she said. Before I could say anything else, she left the record store, and chimed the door frame bell on her way out. I knew so much better than to stalk any woman, but questions now raced through my mind. I still wanted to know more.

____

'Dre, you're not gonna believe what just happened." I finally returned home after visiting the record store. Andre was alone in his living room. For personal reasons, I stayed there more often in my own house and his Mother didn't even mind to this day, at least not yet. He messed with a bass guitar while sitting on the floor.

"What, you can finally move out of here and leave Momma alone?" It wasn't long before Andre soon rolled his eyes, but I nudged him in turn. We both knew that I wasn't ready to move back in with my folks yet, even with that album on shelves.

"Stop it." I laughed instead, trying not to yell. His other siblings were either out or just asleep here, so I knew better than to argue or yell out loud, of course. I'd change our subject and finally talk about Nikki. Dre would be interested, I hoped.

"What happened?" Dre put away his guitar and folded his arms while facing me. Silence fell between us as I sat on the couch. He joined, avoiding awkwardness given the silence of this living room. I actually couldn't wait to tell him for once.

"I met somebody at the record store and she didn't even freak out, man." I smiled genuinely for once, but still knew better than to just start tripping on my own. Again, there was no other choice. Of course, I wasn't some young child anymore.

"She?" Dre then perked up. We shared this quiet laugh, but I always recognized the curious look on his face. Right now, that particular expression usually meant that he wanted to learn more details, especially since I'd met countless girls in the past.

"Her name was Nikki and she told me that the album was good. No hysterics for once." I revealed the mystery girl's name. Silence fell, but I couldn't help grinning for another moment. Andre seemed both surprised and somehow terrified all at once. It wasn't long before my own chuckles had returned out of nowhere now.

'Giovanni?" Andre mentioned the poet and I soon laughed once more. Shaking my head, I nudged him for the second time and cleared details before this cat keeled over or something. Shock on his face proved hilarious, but I continued speaking.

"No. she wasn't the poet, but this new girl was different, man. Never seen her around before." I shrugged, but daydream started again. I could only imagine what she was like at home. Again, I hadn't even figure out what she'd done for a living.

"Was she fine?" Dre winked of course. I nodded without tripping again, but already thought back. She was gorgeous, the type of beautiful that made fellas almost lose their minds. She was the pretty girl that fairy tale authors didn't even consider.

"She was everything." I smiled and faced the ceiling, leaning back on this couch. I'd walked on Cloud Nine, but quickly realized one factor that seemed more and more realistic. I continued jamming Dre instead, already writing new music later.

I'd probably never see Nikki again.