Destiny || Chapter 12

1986

Nicole "Nikki" Foster-Nelson

Months later, we finally reached the end of Prince's tour. Not even seconds after he walked backstage, I ran towards him with the biggest smile on my face. It wasn't long before we then shared another much-needed hug. Tears shed earlier that day.

He'd just disbanded "The Revolution'' after three years of life changing success. Of course, I felt quite disappointed, but it was surely time for a change. As always, Prince had evolved and his musical groups always reflected these differences.

I bid farewell to everyone and waved goodbye before holding Prince's hand to leave. His rare eye still beamed with sweat and tears from the stage, but at least no actually loathed him right now. I could move on with him, happy. My own tour had ended just weeks beforehand, back in New York at Radio City Music Hall.

"I love you." Prince turned to face me with another rare smile. I blushed in return while still holding his hand. We would officially trade vows this weekend and this would be our last night together before the actual wedding. I took him in, just watching the man who I adored stand in silence. Our fingers still interlocked and my diamond engagement ring gleamed under this moonlight. Silence fell again.

"I love you, too. See you this weekend." We shared one last kiss before my limousine pulled up to escort me away. Prince and I agreed to stay in different hotels this time around, bridging the gap for tradition with our upcoming nuptials. My mother, sister and bridesmaids were there, waiting for me to arrive before bed.

_____

Saturday finally arrived. Momma helped with my hair and my sister took care of make-up. The bridesmaids were mostly childhood friends. Music prompted all of us to groove in the suite. My gorgeous dress propped in the corner, waiting and ready.

Meanwhile my father was nowhere to be found. He had rejected my wedding invitation and Momma threw a fit, but I moved on instead. It wasn't my fault that Pop didn't care anymore. Of course, I couldn't force other people to think of me.

When Momma finally zipped up my dress, we all blushed. Even my sister almost smeared her own make-up. It was time. I finally would step out of this room and walk see my man standing under the aisle. We'd planned this day for months.

"Ready?" Momma then whispered this simple question, hoping that my makeup wouldn't smear just yet. I nodded in silence, reaching out to hold hands with her and my sister. Silence fell between us as we shared this prayer together. A golden cross looped around my neck. My heart still thumped as time moved on.

Once everyone else had walked out to anticipate me, I finally emerged with my beautiful dress and lily bouquet. The bridal chorus played gently as I strolled. My veil hid away curls. Both family members and celebrities would witness this day.

Prince waited at the aisle. Both Andre and Jerome stood on either side of him. Morris was his best man. With each step forward, I realized that Prince was actually tearing up. I felt the same exact way and smiled through my incoming waterworks.

Once music stopped, I'd finally reached the altar and held hands with Prince. His own mascara ruined as he blinked towards me, shaking his head as we noticed each other again. As always, he looked handsome and love twinkled in his eyes.

This is happening. My thoughts confirmed.

____

"Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you for the first time ever, Mr. and Mrs. Nelson!" Our disc jockey opened the reception by yelling out. Guests cheered in return. I glanced towards Prince with the biggest smile on my face as we entered the room, ready to begin this beautiful chapter of life together. We were so happy.

We danced to Stevie Wonder for the first time as a married couple. Every guest blinked away tears as once that ballad faded out. Prince and I continued holding hands as we left the dance floor, listening later on as Morris, Andre and my sister traded stories. Laughter surely ensued and Prince had been quite tickled at times.

Once everyone returned to the dance floor, our disc jockey turned up this party several notches. We grooved to everything from James Brown to even Michael.. A few times, music turned to Prince's camp, which only made us jam harder today.

By the time our reception ended, Jill had caught my bouquet and Andre palmed the garter belt. Prince and I laughed out loud, knowing full-well that those two wouldn't date. At least not in public or something. We'd all cackled, still joking out the door.

Official photographs would be developed and released after our honeymoon. Prince and I aimed to vacation on the beach. I'd reserved the same hotel from '84, a location where my infamous "Darling Nikki" interview took place two years earlier.

As our stretch limousine slowly disappeared from everyone, Prince and I held hands. Comfortable silence fell between us as our wedding gleamed through reflection of passing streetlights ust minutes later, I slumped my veiled curls onto his shoulder and drifted to sleep. I'd never felt so safe around another man.

_____

"Good morning." Prince whispered the next morning, gently speaking towards my ear. I'd barely woken up, but his presence weighted the bed. I couldn't even remember walking into the hotel room with him, and wasn't drunk last night.

My own eyes then fluttered open to see Prince offering that rare smile. A few buttons of her shirt were unfastened, revealing this patch of chest hair. He looked well rested and happy, something that I had never really witnessed beforehand.

"Good morning." I smiled back. Prince then left the bed to check something. I soon realized that there was food in the kitchen. He must've called room service to spoil me again. As I've said, he never acted this smitten with anyone else. I'd become such a fortunate woman right now, glancing towards my wedding ring this time.

"Don't get out of bed yet." Prince told me as he returned with a tray of food. I pouted. We both knew that I didn't like to lounge all day. Sunlight beamed from the balcony. Waves ebbed and flowed beyond. Even then, I wanted to relax outside.

I earned my wish later that day. Prince made sure that we were alone before taking pictures of me. He'd cornered himself in the distance, snapping with one of the personal cameras. I just enjoyed these ocean views, both grateful and calm.

If only our marriage would stay peaceful forever