Destiny || Chapter 14

1986

Nicole "Nikki" Foster-Nelson

"What's wrong?" Prince offered me this question as I sat with him in the living room. Silence fell between us, of course. I didn't know how to explain myself without sounding as though I complained. Acting ungrateful had been the last choice on my mind. I'd love him so much, but I didn't want to nag about anything.

"I miss you." I told my husband honestly. We'd spent so much time working after the honeymoon fiasco that I'd gone into autopilot mode. Phone calls just weren't enough anymore. He'd cheered about my single on the radio, but his compliment still wasn't enough to make me feel better. I needed to see him. Face to face.

"I miss you too, Babe." Prince reached out to hold my hand, gently touching my knuckle for a moment. There was still no better feeling in the world. A simple gesture meant so much to me and we hadn't made love in quite some time, either.

I ended up falling asleep on the couch as we watched some random TV movie that night. There was no extravagant dinner. No dressing up. I just wanted to be around him. My baby, my best friend. Prince became the love of my life, no matter what games Michael or the press pulled about him. As I've said, we were truly in love.

When I woke back up, I realized that Prince blanketed me with this quilt from my grandmother. Nana had passed away not long after I graduated from high school, but she gifted me with one last present before my mother entered her into hospice.

"Are you really wearing my scarf, again?" Facing Prince, I laughed through my rousing, and then pointed towards the wrap on his head. He'd changed his hair once more and needed to keep everything perfect, of course. Sitting up on this couch, I rubbed exhaustion away and soon recognized treats on the coffee table.

"What? It's no different than when you didn't want strangers to mess up your Jheri Curl years ago." Prince kissed my cheek and sat back down on the sofa, already reaching to nibble from this charcuterie plate. We fell back into habits, comfortable.

"I never had a Jheri Curl! Don't judge my hair routine, though." I laughed out loud once more, tickled then. Between bites from the cheese board, Prince offered his own chuckles to my eardrums. His rare smile returned to greet me before long.

"Sometimes, you even take longer than me in the bathroom." Prince smirked. If it wasn't for eating right now, I would've nudged him with this throw pillow. This moment was nice. We'd of course indeed time to catch up with each other.

"Shut up and eat." I rolled my eyes, but Prince handed me to this pepper jack cheese bite. I still giggled, feeling as if we'd just started liking each other. Usually, This cute idea would have been too cliche for us, but times were different right now. We deserve to have these particular moments alone. I'd always cherish him.

While washing dishes, someone called my phone. I didn't know what to think until Prince dried his hands and picked up, clearing his throat before long. My mind still jumbled with several questions as he whispered between silence, puzzled this time.

"Oh my God." Prince hung up the phone and covered his mouth for once. My heart thumped quickly as his eyes bulged with fear. I'd never seen that kind of expression from him before. A lump then formed in my throat at this point.

"What happened, Baby?" I whispered the question.

"Your mother just called." Prince revealed.

______

A drunk driver killed my sister.

Without another thought, I drove to the hospital in the middle of the night and tried to figure out the truth. I didn't even care about music anymore. Prince guarded my home with his security team and still kept watch, just waiting for me to return.

I couldn't even say goodbye at the hospital. Her ward bed was already fixed up and empty. Tears ruined my bare face as I hugged Momma for dear life. Doctors threatened to kick us out as I stood after visiting after hours, but we didn't even care. My sidekick was gone, all because somebody else wasn't thinking straight.

No marriage compared to my bond of sisterhood. As much as I would always love Prince, I lost myself in the funeral responsibilities. He left me to my own devices in one way or another, but at least checked in with nightly phone calls sometimes.

If it wasn't for Momna carrying out other duties, I would've lost my mind. We'd already placed our lawsuit and the case was still pending out of court. Of course, everyone else in the family just wanted this monster rot all alone behind bars.

My father didn't show up until after the service. He cornered himself in the back near the exit. Earlier that day, I delivered my eulogy and sang one of my sister's favorite songs for the crowd. By now, most folks already filed out of this building.

"I'm sorry, Baby Girl." Pop cleared his throat and pocketed both hands, not even bothering to stand up straight. I folded both arms. Momma then watched from quite the distance, nodding for me to handle this situation on my own. I listened.

"Where were you? Frankie's gone." I questioned, staring towards Pop with bloodshot eyes and still giving out the worst croak of my voice right now. I lost happiness not that long ago, knowing that my sister wasn't here anymore.

"I know." Pop then lowered his tone and I fumed with each passing moment. It took everything in me not to just walk out and scream. Momma already clicked her heels and walked towards me, supporting. I hugged her without giving eye contact.

"Where were you?" I asked my father once more. Tears returned to cloud my vision. Silence then fell in the church and Momma rubbed my shoulder. We shared glances and now held hands. It was comforting that she wouldn't leave me alone.

I broke down when Pop didn't answer and just walked out of the church.