Destiny || Chapter 15

1988

Prince

For two years, Nicole actually stopped working.

I'd never seen my wife break down like that before. Not even show business could lift the sadness away from her gorgeous brown eyes. Not long after Frankie transitioned, I even argued for Nik's album to be shelved until further notice.

On the other hand, all I could do was visit the house or simply give phone calls, trying desperately to bring my girl back. Ever since Frankie left this earth, Nicole, my best friend, had completely shut down for the first time. My heart shattered.

"I'll be back, Baby." While Nicole slept in bed for the millionth time, I gently kissed her cheek and reached out to sweep back those curls. Tonight, award season was in full swing once again. I needed to head out for the Grammy show this time around.

"Say hello to everyone for me." Nicole whispered from the bed. I glanced over my shoulder and nodded, already dressed to leave. It took everything in me not to toss up both hands and cuddle her, trying once again to stop this agony with my love.

"I will, but how about this? After I come back, we'll talk." I promised, keeping my voice low and comforting. There was no other choice, especially since arguing with her wouldn't help us at all right now. Silence fell in the room, but my heart sank.

"Okay. Enjoy yourself." Nicole offered this exhausted look towards me, but tried to smile. It was so much better than nothing, especially given our current circumstances. I'd be a fool to request a lot, no matter how fame changed me.

_____

I didn't score anything that night and even Michael wasn't fortunate enough to celebrate his success. We were simply nominated and other folks offered their acceptance speeches. I could only imagine how Nikki felt watching back at home.

"I'm going back home, man. Sorry about tonight." I passed Mike one last time before planning to head back out with my security team. There was no point in celebrating this time, especially since Nikki still wasn't feeling better. I knew.

Without ever speaking, it wasn't long before Mike traded silent glances with me and he shared one final goodbye. My own steps clicked away. Other celebrities turned their heads to watch me leave and bodyguards still patrolled outside the venue.

Back in her home, I peeked in to hear the shower running. Not that Nikki wasn't ever hygienic, but she wore pajamas all the time now. Through misting steam and the clear door, I watched as her beautifully dark complexion lathered in soap.

"Baby?" I knocked against the open bathroom door. Her curls swooped down to their famous shoulder length. As she slowly turned to avoid slipping, her smile returned, only fleeting as she remembered something. We'd talk later for sure.

"Yes. Join me?" Despite that enticing question, her own gentle voice echoed from the closed partition between us. I nodded in silence, closing the door and slowly removing my attire from tonight. I took off my wedding band to avoid water.

Finally standing with her beneath this showerhead, I watched as she lathered me. My own mind soon acted as if I'd never done something like this before with any other woman. Her small hands were still gentle. As water rinsed away the soap on my body, she nodded again, cuing my time to speak on what happened tonight.

"I can't believe it, Babe. Michael and I worked hard, no matter how much we mess with each other." I stated my truth. Silence fell between us despite the running showerhead. I turn, I washed Nikki's hair, leaving air kisses through each moment.

"I know. Maybe the academy got tired of you both, but I don't even know what that means." At least Nikki understood my point of view and wouldn't argue with me about what happened tonight. Michael and I had taken our music for years by now.

"That's hilarious." I laughed for once, understanding that Michael and I would never stop working, at least not yet. Of course, I actually wasn't foolish enough to believe that awards meant everything, but we both still deserved respect at the time.

"Feel better?" I asked before long, changing our subject. Nikki turned off the shower and we dried off back in the bedroom. No fooling around. We were just together, trying to figure out what happened. I wanted to know if she was okay.

"Could be worse." Nik's three words left without much emotion. I eyed the nightstand and noticed that she had completely changed her usually framed picture. Another round of silence then fell right into this bedroom before long.

One of our wedding photos showed off this dynamic triage. In our smiling snapshot, I stood left, Frankie posed right, and Nik centered in her dress with the biggest grin on her face. Our hired photographer snapped this gem and I'd always remember it.

"What's your plan tomorrow?" After we changed clothes and headed to the living room instead, I smirked, but watched as she played around with the piano in here. This Grand situated by the back wall and I eyed her nimble yet still soft fingers.

"Denise invited me to a movie premiere. Eddie Murphy just released this film named Coming To America." Between plays on the piano, Nikki smiled back. I'd take any good news at this point, especially since my girl needed something new.

"That's great. At least you'll get out of the house, Babe." I sat down beside her and looked down to Nik playing again. Notes chimed towards my eardrums in one way or another. It wasn't long before she even started humming, most likely trying to figure out her next song. Our wedding rings shined under lighting of this room.

"Thanks, but get a pen and paper, please?" Nik then changed her subject out of nowhere and seemed to focus on music. Her fingers continued playing the piano. I zipped myself quick from our bedroom and back. My steps barely moved along.

"Here you go. What's up?" I returned to the piano bench, kissed her cheek, and opened this new page in her journal. We had drafted songs together and this time never changed anything, no matter how terrible she still felt about losing Frankie.

"Just write anything down. I'll play." Her own words deadpanned and the beautiful smile vanished, but a golden cross looped around her neck. As she began to play wonderful chords, tears seeped from her brown eyes, spilling with everlasting grief.

By the time we stopped brainstorming, I'd written lyrics to "Anna Stesia."