INTRODUCTION

Okay, first I want you guys to know that this isn't your typical kids' detective story. I'm not the standard cute but overly-curious girl who's part of some fun team of kids with a dog going around solving mysteries like "The Case of the Missing Mummy" and stupid stuff like that.

No, my dad and I solve real mysteries and deal with real criminals, con artists and cheats.

Not that I'm some kind of Sherlock Holmes-y genius, a 15-year-old whiz kid who goes to school by day and solves crimes by night. I mean, technically my dad's the real private detective, and I'm only his assistant. But I'm really more his partner because he couldn't do his job without me! Okay, maybe that's pushing it a little. Let's just say he couldn't do his job well without me.

I'm also kind of Dad's reporter or "chronicler", which is a person who keeps a written account of things. (I had to look that one up.) I actually did some reporting for my school newspaper once, but that was totally boring compared to writing about all our cases!

Anyway, it's nice to know that I'm good at private investigating (and chronicling) because I'm actually kind of a screw-up at school. I'll tell you more about that later, and about how my parents split up and how everything kind of sucks. But for now, I want to tell you about how this whole private eye thing started.

And to do that, I have to tell you about my dad.