Epilogue

Emma

I sat in the hospital bed, Dylan fast asleep next to me. It was the first morning I was experiencing since I woke up from the coma. Man, does it feel good to be alive again. My Dad and Dan had gone home to get some sleep and get things ready for me to come home. I asked them what they had meant by that but they told me not to worry about it. Dylan however stayed. 

His face was smushed against my arm as he let out soft snores, quiet laughter escaping me. I ran my hand through his hair, watching the early morning light glimmer on it. His eyes fluttered open, a sleepy smile appearing on his face.  "G'morning" he grumbled, his golden brown eyes staring into mine. 

He sat up, half of his hair matted to his head with dried drool on his chin. I burst out laughing, earning a confused face from Dylan. I doubled over in laughter, unable to stop. Is this what it feels like to be in love? "Good morning" I responded, licking my finger before wiping the drool off of his chin. 

"Did you just mom me?" he smiled, letting me wipe it off. I smiled, fixing his hair as well before playfully pinching his cheeks. 

"Oh definitely" I chuckled as Dylan laughed, his arms pulling me into a hug. I molded to him, wrapping my arms around his back. 

"Oh man I missed you" he sighed, leaning his head against. I rubbed his back, pressing my face in the crook of his neck. I inhaled, catching that familiar scent of his that never seemed to fade. 

"I missed you too, Dyl" I mumbled, muffled by his neck. I closed my eyes, enjoying the moment. The sun that shone through the window was warming my back through my frail hospital gown and Dylan's arms were warm weights that hung around me. For the first time in a while, I was free. There was no nagging responsibility, no nagging grief to pull me down. I was really okay. 

He pulled away, staring at me with watery eyes. My heart dropped at the sight of his tears, my hand gently brushing his face. "After my parents, losing you would've been-"

"Shh don't say that" I whispered, cutting him off. "I'm okay and you're okay. Everything's okay" I soothed, trying to get him to think like me. To feel that same lightness that I was feeling, that is, until I remembered. I had to tell him. My stomach twisted into knots, my face dropping. Dylan must've noticed as he took my hand.

"What's wrong?" he asked and my mouth opened, but nothing came out. I wanted to tell him, but I couldn't bring myself to say the words. The more I thought about that, the more I thought about killing James. I felt like I was going to be sick, but I couldn't speak a word. Instead I sat there like an idiot, my lower lip wobbling. "Emma, what's wrong? Tell me" he pleaded, squeezing my shoulders. 

I sighed, taking a deep breath as I found the courage to bring my eyes up to meet his. "When James was-when he was- talking to me at the-at the gas station" I began stuttering as I tried to speak the words. A tear slowly rolled down my face as I thought back. "He said he-he killed your parents" I finally spit it out, my eyes flying to watch his reaction. 

Dylan's eyes went wide in surprise as he reared back. I watched as slowly the expression faded as he processed what I had said, his face going blank. I couldn't read it, and it made me crazy. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you yesterday. I didn't want to ruin the moment" I sniffled, looking down at the bed. 

Dylan was silent, making my heart race. I glanced back up at him, waiting for a reaction. "Alright" he finally replied with a sigh. It was my turn to rear back in surprise. Alright? What did that mean?

"Alright?" I asked, my mind spinning in confusion. I used the back of my hand to wipe away the tear, my eyebrows furrowed in thought. Why wasn't he upset? Dylan nodded, shrugging his shoulders as he exhaled heavily.