f o u r

"Hello" Emma greeted as her and Dan sat down in the stiff, folding chairs. She felt cold as she settled into the metal chair, a shiver running down her spine. In front of her stood a desk with his paperwork on it, a can of pencils and a letter opener. Across the table sat the famous killer, Jake Mun.  

Jake raised his lip in a snarl, Emma swallowing as she clenched and unclenched her fists beneath the table, trying to suppress the sick feeling in her stomach that convinced her she was living in a nightmare. 

Jake was the poster boy for an insane asylum. His hair was greasy, long and grey, his scalp showing through where he was balding. He wore the all grey uniform which washed out his pale skin, making the dirt on his skin more prominent. And the few times he opened his mouth, she wished he hadn't as his teeth were rotted, his gums bleeding. 

Her attention was torn away when the door to the common room opened, a cool breeze hitting her back. Emma looked over her shoulder, watching as a teenage boy walked in, trembling as he went. Emma didn't recall this being a place for teens but she assumed sometimes there were special cases. 

Her stomach churned as she eyed the burnmarks on his temples, a faraway look on his young face. He looked pale and sickly, probably from the lack of sun light. A wave of misery washed over her as she watched him numbly sit down on a nearby couch. 

For a moment, his eyes met hers. And she swore she saw a shimmer in his brown eyes. Before she could get a closer look, Dan drew her attention back to the interview with an elbow to the side. 

Dan nodded, giving her the chance to start the interview. Emma swallowed as she prepared what she was going to say. Finally she built up the courage to begin. "Hello. I'm Emma and this is Detective Evers. Do you mind if we ask you a few questions?" Emma asked, trying to be as kind as possible.

"Actually I do fucking mind" Jake spat, Emma's fists clenching under the table as it became clear he wasn't going to make this pleasant. Jake lit a cigarette, taking a long draw before blowing smoke in her face. She suppressed a cough, using her hand to fan it away. Her eyes narrowed as her frustration began to build. 

"Well that's not what Sister Jude said. So I think we'll continue" Emma spoke after she regained her composer. He frowned as he continued smoking, a tired sigh escaping her. 

"Have you heard about the recent murders?" Emma asked him, Jake shaking his head. "There has been a few murders very similar to the ones you once committed" Emma informed him, a sick grin appearing on his face as he showed off his dirty, rotten teeth. Emma tried not to breathe as his hot, sour breath drifted across the table. 

"Me a murderer?" he asked, wide eyes blinking helplessly. Emma rolled her eyes, pushing down a growl that tried to force its way up. "Oh wait I think I am recalling it now" he mumbled, smirking tauntingly at her.

"Are you?" Emma asked sarcastically, quickly becoming fed up with this man. He grinned as he leaned forward on the table, Emma's heart rate increasing. Emma watched in horror as the guards left the room at the call of a nun, needing to discuss something seemingly important. 

"Yeah. Like the time I killed that family one by one and skinned them?" he asked, Emma swallowing as she tried to keep her bagel down. She nodded hesitantly, unsure of where this would go next. "Ah yes. My finest work" he continued, "It wasn't hard you know. They went down easily. My favorite part was the screaming and crying of the remaining members begging for their lives before I took them" he smirked, something inside her snapping. 

"You're sick" she spat, Dan wincing as he realized she was getting distracted. She was letting her anger take over, her muscles rigid as she stared menacingly at the man in front of her.