Ch. 22 - Brotherly Love

Brotherly Love:

Steve was about to say what they were all thinking, but then something even stranger than Dr. Strange happened. The memory cut off and showed a distorted image, fading to white and navy colors. It reminded all three Avengers of when they'd first experienced this phenomenon of viewing memories.

"Wh - e - fuc-?" Someone said, but it was close to impossible to tell who it was.

What felt like hours went by. Seconds ticked slowly and even Natasha lost track of her mental counting. Until finally, the mist cleared and everything looked even more vivid than before. It seemed like time completely changed, but not by gradual fade like it normally would on occasion.

Their teammate still looked the same age, but he was definitely at a new location — the same bar as before. The most alarming part was the black eye Clint had, possibly from Carson. Steve clenched his fists tightly.

Clint didn't think twice about entering the bar, unlike the last time. His hood was already pulled up to shield his face from unwanted stalkers, but Barney's gang made it clear that they didn't have time for anyone else. He definitely wore his head higher — a result of his successful performances.

"What can I get you, gentlemen?" A nervous waitresses asked. Natasha had to give her credit for having the courage to do it, but noticed immediately how she felt about the task.

Jacques pulled down his cracked sunglasses and gave the waitress a look. "It's a bar. We're a load of guys wanting to get drunk off our asses. What do you think we want?"

Steve inwardly winced, especially at how Clint laughed after seeing the waitresses reaction.

The waitress nodded before scurrying off in the direction of the kitchens. She returned moments later with four jugs of beer. If the woman noticed anything off about the fact there was kid sitting there, about to drink with some older kids, she didn't say a word.

Clint pulled the glass towards him, but left it sitting on the table. Everyone else — Jacques, Barney, and Buck — took a large sip almost immediately. He bit his lip.

"Hey, Barney?" Clint asked.

Barney raised an eyebrow but didn't look at him.

"Don't you think that...that maybe you shouldn't drink—"

Everyone started laughing. Jacques spoke first, "Why would you ever want to stop?"

"Self control ain't necessarily a good thing, bro," Barney added. He looked into Clint's eyes for a hint of playfulness, but instead saw hurt. Clint covered it quickly, almost like it'd never been there to begin with.

Jacques nudged Buck with his elbow. "You've been awfully quiet. You alright?"

"Mates," he started carefully, "I've been thinkin' lately."

"About?"

Buck hesitated again, but Barney's glare told him to hurry it up. He blurted, "About education. Getting clean."

"You'd never make it, moron. Besides, if you wanted to do something other than the shit we do—" Barney replied curtly, before getting interrupted by Jacques.

"Military is the way to go." Jacques yawned, already bored with the conversation. "They give ya free food, a place to stay...an' you get to fire guns! I'd love to buy me one, but there's this thing — it's called the law."

Clint coughed. "What about the whole 'getting deployed overseas and fighting' thing? Pretty sure that's also a part of the deal, Jacques."

Barney took a sip and shrugged at his brother, taking a look at him for the first time in ages. Jacques' victorious smile wavered.