xxxvii. Moonlight

A SMILE APPEARED on Alice's face the next morning when she saw that she was receiving a call from her mother

It had become a normal cycle, as they would talk on the phone every few days to catch up and just talk about what the other had been up to. The first few calls were a bit awkward, but Alice started to ease more into comfort with each call. She believed she had fully forgiven her mother, which made her happier. She was actually curious as to what her mother was up to each day in Busan.

"Good morning," Alice chirped into the phone as she tidied the kitchen.

"Hey, Alice," her mother spoke, but her sudden unsure tone caused Alice to furrow her eyebrows a bit.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" She asked curiously as she leaned on the counter.

"I actually need to tell you something, and I hate that I haven't told you yet, and I feel like I really need to now," her mother muttered.

"What is it?" Alice's heart began to race a bit in worry.

"I've met someone," Alice heard from the other side of the call, in a small voice. She blinked in shock upon hearing it, as it was something she didn't expect to hear at all. She sighed a bit in relief, because it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, I just... didn't want to overwhelm you. I know your father passed away and I'll always love him, but..."

"No, mom, I completely understand," Alice reassured her. "I'm happy for you," she smiled and nodded, even though her mother couldn't see her.

"That means a lot to me," her mother said. "Maybe one day you'll be able to meet him. He's very kind."

"Of course."

"So, how has everything been over there?" Her mother asked.

"Well, I found an apartment that I'm going to move into soon, just to get out of Jimin's hair, you know? And I finally have enough money saved for it," Alice explained, and after she finished she could practically hear the frown on her mother's face when it grew silent.

"I'm sorry, honey, again, for-"

"Stop apologizing," Alice cut her off with a chuckle. "Don't worry about it. Stay in Busan, mom. I think you're a lot happier there than you would be here in Seoul. And I want you to stay like that."

"I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too," Alice replied warmly.

-

After quite the long day of class, which lasted a bit longer so that she could talk to her professor about an assignment, she finally reached the front of the luxurious apartment building.

I'm really going to miss it here, she thought and let out a sigh. In the corner of her eye, she spotted a bench in front of a small garden with a few pink tulips packed together on the grass, and she decided to take a seat.