III

If I ever knew Kristie Mewis was as bad a driver as she is, I never would have gotten in her car - because except burning all the stops and never letting anybody cross the road safely, she doesn't do much. 

As we approach the Press family's mansion, all the trip having been silent, I sigh and look through the window, while Kristie finally speaks out:

"Well, congrats: you're officially the less talkative sister in the fam" 

Rolling my eyes - because I cannot think of them as my sisters, I mean, I didn't know of their existence until yesterday - I remain silent. Realising that I wasn't the kind to do small talk, Kristie nods her head sarcastically, and keeps on driving. 

After a small moment, I finally end up saying:

"Sorry, it's just I'm not used to... people"

"I can tell." Kristie only says, only in a playful tone. As I am about to say something not nice to her, she smirks and says: "Oh, chill, blondie: now you're gonna have to roll with the fact that we're family."

"Somehow" I let out, smirking as well. 

When we arrive in front of a huge house - that looks more like a horror movie kind of haunted house with zombies and ghosts coming out of it - Kristie stops the car and stares at the house, and for the first time since yesterday I see her unsure.

Raising my eyebrow, I wait for her to explain, and she provides:

"Yeah, so, the Press don't have a good reputation in Orange" she explains, and my facial expression turns into a big, confused frown. Sighing, she adds: "Ever since they settled about two years ago, shady business has been going on here. There even have been two unsolved murders, and half the town is certain that they have something to do with it."

"What are they, mafia?" I ask, half-serious, half-laughing.

Kristie rolls her eyes.

"No idea, but the dad is an influential businessman and he's already bought half the businesses in town."

"Mh."

"Yeah. And the mom is his lawyer, she went to Harvard... So they're basically untouchable in the eyes of the gracious law, you know."

I raise my eyebrow.

"Now I'm suddenly very interested in working for their disabled kid" I let out, tickled by this sense of mystery going on behind those walls. 

Kristie smirks again.

"Yeah, well, get hired first, girl." she lets out.

Nodding my head and nonetheless thanking her for driving me here, I get out of the car and, as it disappears at the edge of the street, I walk through the impressive yard, composed of countless expensive trees, a swimming pool and a Jacuzzi. The house has a somber look, but it somehow really arouses my curiosity, because this powerful family probably has secrets equaling their immense fortune.

When I knock at the door, it immediately opens, revealing an impressive decoration made of countless tables, paintings of people mainly, as well as Hogwarts-like stairs showing off the manor's many floors. A tall woman with blonde hair tightly put together in a ponytail stands by the door, wearing a stylish costume with a tie. Her bright eyes are staring at me, almost telling me to get the hell away from this place.

After a few seconds, the woman asks:

"Good afternoon, how may I be of assistance?"

Given her extremely strict yet disapproving tone, I raise my chin up and cannot help myself but to say: