𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

It was, once again, an absolutely gorgeous day. The sun was beginning to shine, the grass was growing, and the birds seemed to be singing louder than ever. It was still early, but most of ShadowClan had awoken for their usual dawn patrols.

The medicine cat sat down beside the younger tom's nest, his eyes shut in deep thought. How could he do this? How could he bring out the words to say anything?

"Rainwhisper," he whispered, trying to gently wake him up. He already knew his answer though.

The other tom grumbled and rolled over, flicking his ear in annoyance. Hemlockfoot let out a small laugh. His solemn attitude quickly returned though as he realized what he was going to do.

"Rainwhisper... I want to apologize to you. I'm not asking for your forgiveness, I already know that I don't deserve it. I've done unspeakable things to cats before. I just want you to know that I'm so glad you were my apprentice and I know that wherever I end up, I will always try to be there for you. I'm so thankful to have had you in my life."

Rainwhisper pressed deeper into his nest. Hemlockfoot remained where he was for a few more heartbeats, treasuring his apprentice's scent. He would miss him so much. He never wanted kits of his own, but he couldn't help but feel that Rainwhisper had sort of been his in a way.

"I must be going now. Whatever you find later, don't beat yourself up over it," he sighed.

     The tom got up and left the den. He nodded a short goodbye to Molestar and Owltuft, who seemed to be busy chatting with a patrol that was waiting to head out. The tom walked slowly, admiring the pine forest around him. The sound of birds chirping and singing echoed around him, reminding him of how much he would miss the forest.

     I wonder if the Dark Forest has any birds that sing.

     "Probably not," he told himself. "It probably just has the sound of whispers and murky creatures. Nothing beautiful about that."

Morningdaisy watched from from afar, her eyes showing a sadness that she hadn't felt for moons. Hemlockfoot noticed her, stopping in his tracks.

"Good morning," he told her calmly.

"I know what you're up to. Please don't do this," the StarClan warrior warned. "Please."

He shook his head. "I've already made my plans. I've already given my farewells. I've already decided. It's going to be poetic, or at least to me. I'm hoping that you'll be there in my final moments."

Morningdaisy shook her head. "You'll have to walk this path without me. I have someone else to get to right now."

• • • •

Rainwhisper grunted as he felt a paw prodding into his side. What did Hemlockfoot want now? Earlier, he had been mumbling something, but the tom hadn't bothered to listen. He could just tell him later.

"Rainwhisper! Wake up!" scolded a familiar voice.

"M-Morning... daisy?" he asked, slightly alarmed.

"No time for this. I need you to get to Hemlockfoot. Please. He refuses to listen to me. At least be there for him-"

The she-cat has begun to fade away before she could finish speaking. He blinked away his sleepiness and the tears that had begun to form, getting up. What was happening? Was Hemlockfoot in danger? What had happened while he slept?

The words he'd been told earlier slowly began to form in his head. Apologize... Unspeakable things... Wherever I end up... Don't beat yourself up...

"Hemlockfoot? Hemlockfoot!" he yowled, rushing out from his den.

Crowshade looked at him, puzzled. "What's wrong?"

"Get Owltuft to organize a search patrol now! We need to find him! I think something bad is going to happen if we don't!" he wailed.

The warrior seemed confused but complied anyways. "Ashclaw! Newtdash! Spidertail! We need to head out now."

     Rainwhisper didn't bother to stay long enough to see them assemble and leave. He had a feeling in his gut that told him where to go. The cat's scent trail was still fresh enough to follow easily, so there wasn't a need for him to wait for ShadowClan's food trackers.

     "Over here!" said the familiar voice of Morningdaisy.

     Rainwhisper followed in her direction. Every now and then, he could hear her up ahead, calling to him faintly.

     "Hemlockfoot! Hemlockfoot! Answer me!"

     There wasn't any answers. However, he could see the large field ahead of him. The scent trail seemed to be getting stronger.

     "Hemlockfoot...? Hemlockfoot, are you alright?" Rainwhisper asked, gasping for air as he caught up to the older tom.

     Hemlockfoot didn't answer. He didn't even turn to face his apprentice. Instead, he let out a shaky cry. "I'm sorry."