Chapter Eight: The Investigation

Zak just stood there, in Darryl's arms. He wanted to get away from where they were.
—————
Zak's POV
—————
Whoever's doing this has to either be someone we know personally or a fan that was disappointed by us coming out. Maybe it was too soon? No. This probably would've happened, no matter when I did it. But if it was a fan, how did they find out where we live? And are they still here? They had to have been her fairly recently, judging by us not seeing this writing in the bathroom before.
—————
Patch gets his Walkie talkie and speaks into it.
"Hello? This might be more serious than we thought." He says. Those words make Zak shiver. Darryl just holds onto him tighter making sure Zak knows that he is safe.
—————
Darryl's POV
—————
Life was so happy. Living with Zak, living my dream of us being together. Who could be so evil to have done this?
—————
"Darryl, Zak. Have either of you ever had an ex? Maybe even a friend that you ended on bad terms?" Anderson asks.
"I- actually, yes, I have." Darryl says.
"I have an ex-girlfriend named Alice." Darryl continues.
"I've never dated anyone else." Skeppy says.
"But I have had a friendship that I didn't end well. I used to be friends with this girl named Jaiden, but she just started avoiding me, I don't know why." He says.
"Okay good. They will be our prime suspects for now." Anderson says. Anderson, soon after saying that, walks away. Right after she walks away Patch says,"You see, I've worked with Anderson before. She's one of the most skilled detectives we have. Don't worry, we'll catch whoever it is." This gives Zak some assurance.
"You should both come down to the police station. I don't know if it's very safe here." Patch says. Darryl, Zak, Anderson and Patch all head to the police station. Darryl and Zak are taken to Patch's office. Anderson comes in with a few papers and sets them down on Patch's desk.
"Okay. So, you don't seem like the only ones to have been attacked in this manner. Many openly gay YouTubers in this state are being targeted in similar ways. But, so far, you are the only couple to have had some sort of break in." Anderson says. "We're hoping that it doesn't go too far and that we are able to catch whoever did this within the next few days. Until then, I suggest that you stay in a hotel. It's too dangerous to stay at your home." Anderson continues. The two boys nod.
"We will send some of our policemen there see if whoever did this comes back. They will be disguised to look like completely normal civilians, as to not draw any attention to them. All you two need to do is stay safe in a safe hotel." Anderson says.
"O-okay." Darryl says. Darryl and Zak leave the room and immediately after getting back to their car, try and find a nice enough hotel to stay at for a few days. They find a pretty good hotel at a reasonable price and book the room. Soon after, they have to go back to the police station to "watch" something as told by Detective Anderson. They get back to the police station and go in the back. They see Patch, who leads them behind the mirror of the interrogation room.
"We've brought in your ex and your ex-friend as suspects. We're gonna see if we can get any information or maybe even a confession out of them." Patch explains. Zak just nods and looks through the mirror to see his ex-friend that abandoned him. He hadn't seen her in years. She was sitting at the table with Anderson, who was sitting across from her.
"Hello Jaiden. I would like to ask you a few questions." Anderson says.
"Uh. May I ask why I'm here?" Jaiden says.
"Okay first question." Anderson completely ignores Jaiden's question.
"Where were you last night?"
"I was home, watching TV with my boyfriend."
"And around what time was this?"
"Maybe somewhere between 8:00 and 10:00. We weren't exactly keeping up with the time."
"What were you watching?"
"Well, we kinda skipped through the channels but we mainly just watched King of the Hill."
"Okay. Did your boyfriend leave at any point during your time watching TV?"
"Yes, twice. One time to use the bathroom and another to get snacks."
"Did you leave at any point?"
"No." During the questioning, Anderson is writing everything she says down onto a little notepad.
"Okay thank you." Anderson says as she gets up and goes to join Darryl, Zak and Patch behind the mirror.
"She's innocent. Everything she said checked out." She announces to them. "But we still have one suspect and maybe she's the one who broke in. If so, you guys can go back to normal. But, let's just hope we find out whoever is is soon. I haven't had a lunch break in a while." She says.
"Really, Anderson?" Patch says. Zak and Darryl just look into each other's eyes. They were worried but hopeful. Hopeful that everything could go back just the way it was. And worried that one of them would get hurt..or worse.