The Aftermath

The bed was empty when I woke up. The balcony was wide open, Gray was watching the sun rise. He didn't turn to address me as I walked onto the balcony.

"It's so beautiful"

The cold air nipped at my skin making me shiver slightly. I slid my arms around his waist, allowing his body heat mine. He wasn't wrong, the yellow tinged sky contrasted with the sugar frosted mountains were breath taking.

"This world is a horrible place; the beauty does not portray the evil that hides in the shadows" His thoughts spilled into the air.

"Today is going to be a day or mourning Ariella"

I watched a bird lightly skim across the lake, breaking the perfectly tranquil surface.

"How many people were killed Gray"

"Around 200 civilians and 150 guards" he sighed. I gripped the balcony railing for support. My head felt like it was spinning. "Gray, I need to learn to fight, I can't sit and do nothing"

I was taken aback by my determination, for the first time that morning Gray looked at me. "You must be freezing" he said, glancing at my shoulders and chest.

"Don't change focus Gray, I don't want to just sit around and hide. I want to fight"

I could see I wasn't convincing him. "I came here to held, not sit and look pretty. I want you to teach me" I said softly, resting my head against his chest.

He let out a grunt of disapproval "Fine"

"Thank you"

We stood silently for a few moments, enjoying the peach the sun rise brought. "I need to prepare a speech" I said

"I think you already know what you need to say"

The town centre was grey, every face was sombre and dull. Some were still dressed in their battle attire, others in black to remember the dead.

"Last nights loss was an immense tragedy performed by heartless monsters who stole the lives of hundreds of innocents" My voice rang through the square. "We will not mourn the dead, but celebrate their lives and bravery that they showed this kingdom. Their deaths will not be in vain. I want us to take a moment of silence, to remember those who were taken from us"

Everyone's heads fell. The silence was broken by sobs and cries. "These monsters took advantage of our unity, of our kingdom. We will fight back. We are united"

Everyone bowed as I walked off the balcony.

"We've summoned an enchantress to the Academy and the Palace to perform a charm to protect the kingdom, hopefully she can find something that can give us protection."

"I need to get back to the Academy, I don't know if Harriet and Chanel got out safely last night"

"I made sure they were safe" Gray said. "But we will go as soon as I have settled things here" he bowed, before turning his attention to the approaching guards. His formalness caught me off guard, he must be trying to keep up appearances. As I studied him, I noticed dark bags under his eyes and his hair was even more tousled than usual, hung over his forehead. He was tired but not ready to give in to it.